Why don't people keep Rosy or Odessa Barbs anymore?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

henningc

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've had this question for a while now. Why don't people keep rosy barbs, odessa barbs, penguin tetras, kuhill loaches or thick lip giant gouramis? Back in the day these were all standard common aqua stock. I could go on and on.

If you have something that is no longer standard live stock please speak up.

I haven't seen the gourami with the big lips in forever, maybe 20 years. Wow. I would like to have rosy barbs, they are quite beautiful and kuhlis are great
Going to Google penguin tetras now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've had this question for a while now. Why don't people keep rosy barbs, odessa barbs, penguin tetras, kuhill loaches or thick lip giant gouramis? Back in the day these were all standard common aqua stock. I could go on and on.

If you have something that is no longer standard live stock please speak up.

Still common here for rosy barbs :) They look better older I guess?

Just thinking and I can't remember seeing many swordtails around lately. They must be in the shops but can't say I have seen them.

Don't see many odessa at my lfs, had them a while back, nice fish. Khulis are still prevalent.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I noticed a period maybe 5 years ago where kuhli loaches were hard to find but I see them everywhere now. Maybe the only difference is I see more black kuhlis than striped kuhlis.

Now if only clown loaches would disappear as an aquarium staple for their own good.

Funny, I just had this conversation with my LFS the other day when I brought them fish. So many "staples" of the 70s and 80s are no longer either around or desired. Many have just been altered so much that the "new " versions are more desirable. For example, Do we really need Glo Tiger Barbs? A fully colored Tiger Barb is a gorgeous brightly colored fish already. Balloon anything, Why?? The gold barbs I see in stores have no color anymore. These used be so golden. Now, the Roseys you see are the "metallic" rosies. A waste in my eyes. Healthy Ruby Barbs are very colorful as they were. Same with Checkerboard barbs. And the list goes on and on. :(

At the fish auction last week, I bid on 4 "staples" that I loved having: Black Ruby Barbs, Black Swordtails, Black Phantom Tetras and Penguin Tetras (Thayeria Boehlkei I believe) I only won the Penguins and Phantoms. I don't even care if I produce enough of these fish to sell. I just love the way they look in a tank. Maybe it's only the "Old Timers" like me that will keep these fish in the minds of others? :whistle:

Wow, great to know I'm not the only one out there. I know these fish are being mass produced in Florida, but they are not St. Louis bound. Our LFS have been gone the way of the dinosours. That said we just get ,"Pet WhatEver," stuff-being really nice calling it stuff, just step over it.

I still have a few contacts in Florida and was wanting to know if anyone still cared about these oldies but goodies. I may try a few of these next summer.

Please keep the thread going. Oh yes, several types of loaches need to drop from the scene to end the abuse.

Clown barbs, Puntius everetti, are one that I keep but almost never see. I've been told they used to be more prevalent.

Those were, as well as many assorted types of Rasboras not just the Rasbora Hets. I also liked striped barbs ( Puntius johorensis) but I think I only remember seeing them in FL only once or twice since I've lived here while I saw them all the time in NJ. So many old fish have so sadly just gone by the wayside. :(

Oh yes, several types of loaches need to drop from the scene to end the abuse.

Preach, brotha! If I never see another clown loach or hillstream loach in a store again I might be the happiest man alive.

I have seen a lot of rosy barbs and oddessa barbs for sale around here. In fact just today at 2 different LFS. I suppose that may be a rare blessing of the Maine restricted list.

Sent from my XT830C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Those were, as well as many assorted types of Rasboras not just the Rasbora Hets. I also liked striped barbs ( Puntius johorensis) but I think I only remember seeing them in FL only once or twice since I've lived here while I saw them all the time in NJ. So many old fish have so sadly just gone by the wayside. :(

I've looked at removing the clown barbs from their current tank to try to spawn for this reason but I'm unsure if there would be a market for them.

I've looked at removing the clown barbs from their current tank to try to spawn for this reason but I'm unsure if there would be a market for them.
You might want to breed them just to have more for when your breeders eventually do die off ( and they eventually will do that ;) ) if you want to continue having them and they are not easily available where you are. :whistle:(y)

I'd do odessa again if they were around..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I had 3 odessa one died out of no where one has some funk going on right now so im doing salt baths, maybe a genetic issue with them, i also haven't had much luck with rosy barbs or barbs in general because usually the lfs doesn't have 6+ to get so you're stuck getting under the recommended number, and they ate aggressive when they dont have multiple of their own kind in the tank

Sent from my SM-G920P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Had 2 males 1 female was supposed to get another shipment to make it 6+ but my lfs didn't get them, males colors are so beautiful

Attachments

• 1448779889741.jpg
    1448779889741.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 102
I used to have the big Sailfin Mollies. Black with the bright Red/Orange trim on dorsal fin.

Or the big wild green Sailfin Mollies.

All I see in local stores are generic black Mollies or Ballon or sometimes Lyretail.

True Sailfins need 30g or bigger but they were awesome looking fish

I'm sure they are around, but not in local shops.

I had Red Velvet Swords or Red Wag Swords where the red was deep red and the black was jet black.

I'm seeing mass produced poorly colored fish mostly.

I think Glowlight Tetras are vastly underrated. Almost everyone buys Cardinals or Neons and the Glowlights tend to be healthier and look awesome against black sand or a dark background.
They are around, just don't sell as many.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have glolite danios i think are amazing

Back
Top Bottom