Why is my gouramy so "jumpy"???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Big C

Aquarium Advice Freak
In the last two days he gets really spooked every time I get close to the tank. OK I'm not exactly Michelle Pfifer, but I'm not that bad!! :roll:

This morning he jumped to the surface and I'd swear if there was no canopy he would have been on the floor after that. Now he is hiding in the plants. If I sit there quietly he ventures out to take a look, but if he hears/feels any noise or vibration he hides again.

Has anybody had this problem with gouramies before? Is there anything I can do other than not approach the tank!!!!! :?

Thank you

Did you just get him? He may not be used to you yet. I've never had any of these problems with my gouramis.

He's my oldest fish!!!! Almost one year in that tank. Is he ticked off with me?????

I added two SAE in the weekend but they don't seem to be having any contact with the gourami. They just eat algae.

Can it be that he is upset because of the new fish??? jealous? :lol:

He probably knows that there is a change in the tank and is unsure if it's a threat or not.

Next time, come up very slowly to your tank. I had that problem when I moved my gourami from the 10 gallon to the 26 gallon. He was jumpy the first week, but afterwards was back to his old self.

Both my gouramis act this way, they always seem a little spooked. The only thing in the tank with them is a small school of neon tetras and 3 otos.

Back
Top Bottom