Why is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Miyavp

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 37gal tank with three goldfish(ryukins), I do one 10-15gal water change every week. I feed my fish vegitables almost daily along with hikari goldfish food.

But my best friends dad, who I get water from because my house's water isnt any good has a 55gal. No water changes at all and if FILLED with fish, guppys sucker fish a blind cave fish etc.

Now why do my fish always get sick when his are totally fine? I keep telling him water changes are good but I am not setting a good example.

Your goldfish are releasing a lot of toxins and ammonia through their waste and even they're gills. Also I believe that you're going to need more filtration to keep them healthy

I have two filters :( one aquaclear 70 and one sunsun 40. My bestfriends dad told me today that goldfish live just fine for weeks in a 5gal tank and that they like dirty water cause they eat that stuff....

Ummmm no fish prefers dirty water I'm pretty sure of that. You have a lot of filtration wich is good. But I'm not really seeing any problems , do you know your parameters , are you using any chemicals, plus how big are they

I forgot to mention that they'll outgrow your tank so they're growth could be stunted

Also?! What do you mean when you say they're getting sick

Well I did have them in a 5gal until I realized my mistake, I didnt know. So I'm sure they are stunted. But I still want to give them a good life. I plan on upgrading to a 75gal as soon as I move out.

And they've had ich, a fungus which I'm pretty sure was colmnaries(cross contaimination from a sick betta) and one of them has gill curl pretty bad. Also one of my fish has no gill covers, although she came to me this way.

I use an api test kit but I dont test weekly like I should. I'm a senior and I have ALOT of homework this year, barly time for water changes. Which takes me ALOT more work than most people. Hours and hours. So I just keep up on the water changes and am diligent on watching their behavior to make sure their healthy.

These are them, about golfball to baseball sized. 4-5 inches long at the most

ForumRunner_20130122_154639.jpg

ForumRunner_20130122_154650.jpg

ForumRunner_20130122_154707.jpg

That's one weird looking goldfish

I know how you feel I'm 16 and I don't have the ability to do everything properly. I just do everything I can and try to keep up with stuuf
I'm not sure why your fish would be getting sick if your not putting anything in the tank

That's one weird looking goldfish

I know how you feel I'm 16 and I don't have the ability to do everything properly. I just do everything I can and try to keep up with stuuf
I'm not sure why your fish would be getting sick if your not putting anything in the tank

Lol she was a present from my boyfriend of all things. Almost named her scarface.

And yeah if I got another fish tank my dad would KILL ME. So I've got to wait until late next year. I wont be moving for another year. Me and my boyfriend will be moving back east to go to college and he's a junior this year.

These are them, about golfball to baseball sized. 4-5 inches long at the most

View attachment 146364

View attachment 146365

View attachment 146366
They will get stunted if you don't add more space. Usually, fancy goldfish need at least 30 gallons to themselves(People say 20, but it is actually 30). They produce a lot of ammonia so you have to be careful. You're filters will not remove all these toxins from the water, even if they are very powerful.

I suggest doing around 20 Gallon changes(since you have 3 mass waste producers) instead of 10-15:)
The reason why he doesn't do water changes, is because he has less waste producing fish, and there is a lot more space to dissolve these deadly toxins.
Good that you are mixing diet, but i would recommend keeping temperatures low(15C-18C) so you're fish will not make as much as waste. Under 12C and they're metabolism stops working(Semi-Hibernation).
Also, to prevent waste buildup, i would suggest feeding less(Every other day, or once a day), to make them produce less waste.

They will get stunted if you don't add more space. Usually, fancy goldfish need at least 30 gallons to themselves(People say 20, but it is actually 30). They produce a lot of ammonia so you have to be careful. You're filters will not remove all these toxins from the water, even if they are very powerful.

I suggest doing around 20 Gallon changes(since you have 3 mass waste producers) instead of 10-15:)
The reason why he doesn't do water changes, is because he has less waste producing fish, and there is a lot more space to dissolve these deadly toxins.
Good that you are mixing diet, but i would recommend keeping temperatures low(15C-18C) so you're fish will not make as much as waste. Under 12C and they're metabolism stops working(Semi-Hibernation).
Also, to prevent waste buildup, i would suggest feeding less(Every other day, or once a day), to make them produce less waste.

I was thinking of doing that. Lessening the amount I feed them. I'm waiting on my thermometer to get here. I had to move mine to my betta tank.

I'm working hard to up the water changes but it is a TON of work. I have to carry 15 one gal bottles to the car to the house and lift everyone up and into my tank which is high off the ground. I'm pretty short and I'm really tiny so doing it myself is almost an all day job.

You said your water is not good. What is wrong with your water that you don't use it for your tank?
As for your original question, there are not easy answers to things like that. Every tank is different, but the importnat thing is to focus on doing the right things for your tank, and it sounds like that is exactly what you are doing.

I was thinking of doing that. Lessening the amount I feed them. I'm waiting on my thermometer to get here. I had to move mine to my betta tank.

I'm working hard to up the water changes but it is a TON of work. I have to carry 15 one gal bottles to the car to the house and lift everyone up and into my tank which is high off the ground. I'm pretty short and I'm really tiny so doing it myself is almost an all day job.

I'm guessing you have none to help with them

Once again I know how you feel.

You said your water is not good. What is wrong with your water that you don't use it for your tank?
As for your original question, there are not easy answers to things like that. Every tank is different, but the importnat thing is to focus on doing the right things for your tank, and it sounds like that is exactly what you are doing.

I have really high nitrates. Like 40ppms.

I'm guessing you have none to help with them

Once again I know how you feel.

My boyfriend helps when he can but its not very often. Carrying the water is the worst part. I swear by the time I'm done I've probubly carried my body weight in water. I only weigh like 93lbs or so.

High nitrates is your only prob? What are the rest of the levels in your tap? Ammonia? Nitrates? Ph?

If nitrates are at 40, thats not too bad and i would suggest using your tap water it will cut down 80% of your work....

All the other levels are 0 and ph is about 7.4-7.6 and I was doing that but my fish were bottom sitting ALOT. It concerned me.

Back
Top Bottom