Why won't my pleco eat veggies??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shane87

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a leopard sailfin pleco and he is very active happy and healthy but I want to vary his diet a bit. He used to eat pleco wafers but stopped eating them so I don't bother anymore. I don't know what he eats now and he seems to have slowed down growing atm but he must be eating enough as he seems healthy and poops more than anything I have ever owned lol any ideas?

There must be enough algae in your tank or maybe he is eating your other fish's food?

Yea he is Defo getting enough from somewhere but everyone else's pleco's seem to love fresh veg but not mine lol just wondered if anyone knew the reason

What you giving em? I feed mine butter lettece romain zuchini and cucumbers i hold it down with a clip or sink it with a rock

I have tried zucchini, cucumber and pear, he didn't touch any of them

I only feed them frozen cubes and hikari carnivore pellets with that and what ever algae he is finding will that be balanced enough do you think?

If its happy and growing.you give it a balanced diet...the problem is its going to eat what it wants....(candy) lol

I have a common pleco and he eats 2 algea wafers a day, one in the morning and one in the evening. Also I have a big piece of driftwood in the tank for him to munch on. I tried veggies for 3 months when he was young but he would not eat them. Also I tried a diffrent brand of wafers and he refused them so I went back to the original brand he liked and then he started eating again. I have had my algea eater since he was a baby and he is now about 14 inches long and comes out in about 2 to 5 minutes after I put a algea wafer for him to eat. So as long as he is healthy and not overfeeding him do not worry to much.

Yea I had mine from about 2 inches and he is about 8 inches now. he is healthy and active even in the day a fair amount so I'm sure he's fine just didn't want problems in the future from poor diet. And mine used to eat pleco wafers too but just 1 day stopped and hasn't wanted them since lol but thanks for the replies my mind is now at ease :)

My pleco eats cucumber, algae wafers, bottom feeder tablets, and shrimp pellets.

Oh yea forgot to mention I do put shrimp pellets for the bottom feeders in my tank. I think my pleco sometimes will find one and eat them too.

Back
Top Bottom