Wild Plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lung Fish

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys, i need help with plants. I found some wild Cabomba in a local pond, and i need to know if it's possible to put it in my 55 gallon long. I washed it, and put it in a container with water. Do you think it would be safe to put in my fish tank. (I don't really care if i get snails, because they would be a free dinner for my loaches).

I wouldn't see a problem with it as long as you make sure no parasites come in on it. I would QT it first and then put it in.

I add wild plants to my tank all the time. Biggest problem I have had is sago pondweed doesn't take the transition that good. 5th time trying it, and I finally got new growth from it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

A diluted bleach or hydrogen peroxide solution can be used a disinfectant dip for the plants. Sorry, I cannot recall how much of each solution to add to water or how long to dip the plants.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

A diluted bleach or hydrogen peroxide solution can be used a disinfectant dip for the plants. Sorry, I cannot recall how much of each solution to add to water or how long to dip the plants.

I don't have a place to QT it, and i don't have any bleach. I did wash it off though . You think i could add it to my tank right away?

I don't have a place to QT it, and i don't have any bleach. I did wash it off though . You think i could add it to my tank right away?

Make a dip of I think 1 part hydrogen peroxide and 4 parts water in a small container. Dip the plants for 10 minutes or so and then put them in.

Edit: or of an even higher concentration. You could go up to 1:1 if you wanted but that might damage plants.

I had an old tank, but the water was too low for the plants, so i added some more, and put the plans in. I'm going to QT them there! Thanks!

Lung Fish-

You can't qt a plant like it's a fish. They have to be dipped, the plan is not to keep any nasties alive longer, you are trying to kill them.

Sent from my 5560S using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You can't qt a plant like it's a fish. They have to be dipped, the plan is not to keep any nasties alive longer, you are trying to kill them.

+1 to this.

The only thing QTing it will do is let you see any macro invertebrates that might be on it. That really doesn't do anything though because you're looking for mostly microscopic things. Plus you won't see all of the macro inverts anyway. Best off dipping it in an H2O2 or bleach and water mixture.

I am a fan of the diluted bleach recipe. 1 part bleach to 19 parts water (this works out to approximately .8 Cups/Gallon of water).

Lung Fish, I know you mentioned that you don't have bleach, but that $1.50 investment could save you a lot of money in the long run.

Cabomba is beautiful. It'll be lovely in your tank.

What kind of parasites would come on it?

:fish1:Lung Fish:fish1:

The following could potentially arrive with plants. Some may be harmless, some a nuisance, and others may pose a threat to your livestock. This includes: snails, limpets, hydra, planaria/flukes, leeches, copepods, seed shrimp, damsel fly, dragon fly, and caddis fly larva, water beetles, fungus, and algae.
Rinsing should remove most of these. A bleach dip should take care of the rest.

Anchor worms, fish lice, leeches (the babies are super small... Eww) and even plain old snails... I know there are tons more parasites, but I'm only familiar with these.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

There are also a few parasites often brought in from pond fish. I can't remember what they are though. They are like anchor worms but smaller.

You seriously don't want leeches and you won't be able to see their eggs. I would do the dip suggested. You don't want to jeopardize your livestock just for some free plants.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Is there any safe way to avoid a bleach dip? I think the leeches would become prey to my six inch Knifefish.

Both the bleach and peroxide dip are safe if done correctly.

Peroxide is safest because if some gets in the tank nothing bad will happen.

Edit: whoops didn't mean to quote you

Peroxide is safest because if some gets in the tank nothing bad will happen.

Edit: whoops didn't mean to quote you

That's what a rinse in running water and a soak in water with dechlorinator is for, like I said if done correctly.....

Back
Top Bottom