Will Leopard and Zebra Danios school together?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sera

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have five long fin zebra Danios and recently was given a lone Leopard long fin danio. Will it school with the others?

Sent from my E2306 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It should hang out with the others. Often a new fish (or group of the same fish newly introduced) will be left out a little bit anyway even if it is the same and will stay apart to a degree. After awhile they mix into the group and fit in better.

Though the other thing I have noticed with fish, they will separate into their group even if they are just about the kind of fish.

Some examples...

Bronze Cories and Peppered Cories hang out in their own little shoal. Mix together and separate out to their little group again.

Neon Tetras, Cardinal Tetras and Green Neon Tetras... they all mix together but are often seen in their own little group within the larger group.

Good to know!

The little fella is already a part of the group! All six are swimming together and playing nice ?

I'm happy to hear they can fit in with the zebras because I love the look of the long fin leopard! He's like a little fishy cheetah ??

Maybe they took him in so quickly because I've got a group of seven platies and another of six long fin red minor tetra... Surprisingly everyone gets along well! The platies tend to be all over though, though don't seem to school like the Danios or the tetras

I have heard and not personally kept the Red Minors, that they can get fin nippy. Maybe if they don't have enough members of the group. Just watch, as they grow into adulthood would likely be the time they would be begin being nippy.

My cousins had them when I was a kid and remember them causing lots of problems, though can't recall what else was in the tank or how many there were, though it seemed like it might have been a 10G.

Glad to hear all your little guys are happy together. Those Leopard Danios are sharp looking.

In my research I've also heard they can get nippy, but mostly if they are kept in a group of less than five and lack space for their own territory.

I've got a 37 gallon that is moderately planted with driftwood and a rockwall so they have lots of room and places to hide out ☺ the Danios have their own hangout at the top of the tank and the red minors keep to one side of the mid bottom while the platies stick to the other. My hope it that things will stay this way... Fingers crossed!

If things don't go well though I do have a 20 gallon waiting for timeout in the wings ? but I hope things keep going well because they add such a nice look to the tank!

So those red minor tetras got very aggressive and nipped a bunch of my Danios and platys fins ? so I've returned them. I got ten white cloud minnows instead, I want a nice schooling fish so these will hopefully do that without the aggression those darn tetras had ?.

Back
Top Bottom