Will Neon tetra's eat Rainbow fish fry?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmarcf

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi Everyone,

As above will neon tetra's eat Rainbow fish fry. The issue I have is a inherited 3 neon tetra's and without thinking in a rush today I picked up another 3 because I know they like to be in groups of 6 or more. Now my issue is the only "safe" tank I have is a 5.5 G (22 litre) aqua one aquastyle 126 with a few baby RC shrimp (I should have known better because I'm not totally new to Fish keeping so you can call me names etc :angel::facepalm::whip: ).

Yes I know it's to small for neon's. I have a 2ft tank with Rainbow fish fry in it (very small) and I was wondering if you think it's safe to move the Neon's in there?

I have a 3ft tank but that is full of Australian natives (Aust Bass etc) which they will eat anything even a tiny bit smaller then themselves so the Neon's would be gone in less then 5 minutes I think.

Thanks

How big and fast are the fry? I keep some of my rainbow fry with my adult rainbows depending on size and how fast they are.

Shep

The short answer is yes, all tetras are micropredators and most will eat fry when they find them. There are only a few that aren't known to eat fry, but neons aren't one of them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Neons look pretty and innocent. Don't be fooled, they a ferocious predators. Most fish are. The only way is to out breed the predators. My cherry shrimp are rich pickings for my Tetras but many survive. The colony is now too big for the fish to over cull.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The rule of fish:
Big fish eats little fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks everyone for the replies. Yeah I have found them trying to go after the shrimp. Is it normal for them to be fighting each other?

Unfortunately one neon has already died :-( I think it could be the filter it is way to strong around 116g (440 litres ) per hour

Yes its normal, no its not the filter.

Just put the rainbow fry in the 5.5g to grow out a bit.

Back
Top Bottom