Will These Fish Get ALong Together

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
lol. yea i have always been leery of those cycling products I have never heard anything good about them. Maybe I will try that for the 29.... sorry to hear that snails took over your tank. It is definitely true that they will breed easily; I put about 10 in a 5 gallon and I see egg clutches everywhere! My puffer will never go hungry lol

yes i am letting it cycle. i haven't checked those as it is not done cycling. yes i know about the nitrogen cycle.

you should really be checking ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels during your whole cycle. if you don't, how do you know it is even cycling? maybe you should read up on how to cycle a tank fishless.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/fishless-cycling-for-dummies-103339.html this is a great thread to read
unless maybe we misunderstood your process? maybe you could go into detail on how you are cycling your tank?

Yeah they murdered all my fish. I actually hear great things about them.I have. I don't have an ammonia tester with me so I can't test it. and I have got things to do this week so I can't test it till like Thursday. And I know what the cycle is. I have read three like three separate articles solely on it.

It is good to see you have read about the cycle. That is the single most important part of establishing your aquarium! What is your ammonia source, Desacrator?

Some of the larger, more active tetras will go with the angels. A Bristlenose Pleco will go, or otocinclus if you prefer a school of algae eaters to a single pleco.

If you want semi-aggressive, you could get a pair of Bolivian Rams for the bottom of the tank. However, you would need to get more rocks, and plants, so that if/when your Rams/Angels breed, the other fish will have places to hide.

i just looked at that nutrafin cycle you are using. it does not cycle your tank. all it does is help the fish from being harmed during a cycle. your tank will not cycle in a week, no matter how much of this stuff you add. you need an ammonia source.

taylorodw, the rock cause the ammonia duh everyone knows that

those bolivian rams are purty, but my local stores don't sell them. Maybe they can order me a pair on Thursday... Do you guys buy fish online? If so where from so I know I am not gonna get dead fish/bad deal. I know Petco/Petsmart has an online fish store, but I dont nessecarily trust them.

mommytron, you must have a different one than me because mine says the complete opposite, and I am not gonna retype the the friggen label.

what the heck kind of rock are you using??? i don't know of any that produce ammonia... i think you need to get your facts straight. and i just watched the company's video for the nutrafin cycle. it does not cycle a tank on it's own. you need an ammonia source. like fish poop, or decaying fish food, or pure ammonia.

I have added an ammonia source. Myabe this needs to be in a new thread? like Does The_Desacrator Know How To Properly Cycle His Tank? Tune in this week and find out!

Edit: Fish Food to the above question

Last edited:
just trying to understand so we can help you out better. maybe if you were a little more clear we wouldn't be asking so many questions.

Well my questions were regarding fish temperaments and good websites for buying fish, not the nitrogen cycle. That topic was brought in on an outside source. I will update my list, let me know if anyone sees any issues. Updated to List 3

Last edited:
ok, well, depending on how well established your tank is, might change your choices or which order you add them. most of the fish you want to get need a well established tank to do well. we were just making sure your fish would be safe so you would not lose any :) i think you'd be ok doing rams and gouramis together, assuming you get the right f:m ratios. bala shark will get WAY too big for that tank though. you should really look into getting some cories instead of the clown loaches or the pleco, who will both get too big for your tank. a group of 6 cories would do well with a pair of angels i think. i don't think angels get along with very much, though. cories are bottom dwellers though and would stay out of their way.

Hey Desacrator, I know we ask a lot of questions and push on certain subjects... that's because fish stores lie and misinform quite often. A lot of products claim to do things they simply cannot. There are a lot of myths surrounding aquarium keeping, and like mommytron statedm we just want you to have a happy, healthy tank.

I think Desacrator has said he wants to upgrade his tank size in the future. So I believe a slow-growing fish that will eventually get too big, is actually what he's looking for.

List 3:
3x Angelfish (maybe 4x) - increases your odds of getting 1m and 1f, just as long as you know to separate or return eventually! The different colors are all the same species, Pterophyllum Scalare. That means no matter how many colors you get, you'll still need to end up with 1m and 1f.
Hifin Pleco - good to be just one, this guy will eventually need an 80gal tank (once he is like 5 inches long, or so). If you don't want to upgrade, you can go with a Bristlenose Pleco that could stay in your 37gal forever.
Bala Shark - Shouldn't be a problem fighting with other fish, but will need at least 125gal (6 foot long tank).
2x Bolivian Rams: These are good fish, but if you can't find them and don't want to try online, you can also check out the festivum cichlid, and a few others that stay 4" or less.
2x clown loaches: I would really nix the clown loaches. Unless you get at least 5, who will need a 90gal (preferably 125gal) tank eventually, and want to keep them for 15+ years. They're a HUGE commitment.
2x Gourami: I would do either the gourami, OR the angelfish. Both are fairly temperamental, slow-moving, flashy fish that would probably clash. The angelfish are more "semi-aggressive" though.

If you want, we can provide you with a list of fish that would be comfortable permanently in your 37gal, and that would provide plenty of semi-aggressive, fast-moving fun.

I plan on upgrading my tank size probably in January, so fish nice doesn't matter much. I was thinking at least 55 gallon if not bigger like 90

Is it ok to add smaller semi aggressive fish to a tank that has full grown semi aggressive. like full size angel fish with new store bought gouramis?

I like the look of the roseline shark. anyone one know why my store might sell them at 40 bucks a pop?

that list would be cool,but could you work it around the angels? and what happens if i get 2 male angels by accident. will they fight or just leave each other alone. Yeah I am already setting up my room to support a 100 gallon during the next few weeks when i get one in about 6 months

I updated the list and made a second. let me know which is more feasible. i think the first is.

No, you probably don't want to mix Angels with Gouramis in the first place.

If you get a 90gal, scratch the bala shark and the clown loaches. Unless you make clown loaches the main 5 fish, and only keep some small dither fish (like tetras) with them.

If you get a 55 gallon, scratch the bala shark, clown loaches, and pleco. In a 55, you could keep angels, bolivian rams, and some dither fish like tetras. You could also keep a small pleco, like a Bristlenose, or some otocinclus.

Mixing small fish, with big fish, is generally not a good idea. While it's not certain your fish would get eaten, it makes it a lot more likely.

The smartest way to build a community, is to get fish when they're small, and add similarly-sized fish. Most fish are opportunistic, so if it fits in their mouths, they'll eat it. If 1/4 of the fish fits in their mouth, they'll try to eat it! And probably attack it until it dies.

angels and gouramis shouldn't be together at all. if the fish are full-grown and semi-aggressive, chances are they will pick on or eat any smaller fish. if you are only going with a 55gal, bala shark is out of the question (even for a 90). just research whatever pleco you want to make sure he won't grow too fast. even after you buy your 55-90 gal, it will take another couple weeks at the very least (with established tank media [filter cartridge or gravel from your established tank]) maybe even longer, up to 6 weeks. i would go with 2 rams and 2 gouramis, and stay away from the angels (since there are so few fish you can put with them) and maybe do a group of cories (lol sorry to push the cories so much but i really like them :) ) or even a group of otocinclus. if you wanted to do an all silver/black tank still, there are lots of cories that would fit into that.

Back
Top Bottom