Windex

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No. Use an aquarium safe glass cleaner. ATM actually makes a really good one...

Can I use windex to clean the outside of my tank.

I've been using Windex for the better part of twenty plus years without any issues, you don't need to waste money on fancy cleaners that are specifically labeled for aquariums. Windex and microfiber cloths are cheap and work well.

Last edited:
I gotta say I've been using Windex and a paper towel and I'm good to go...

I don't realize there was special cleaning solution for tanks especially the outside. Sounds like about marketing ploy to me.

The reason why windex is not suggested is because of the ammonia in it, if the spray droplets get inside the tank it can kill your fish, if you spray it on a rag and not the glass then you minimize that risk. I use the windex made with vinegar, it works great on the tank and around the house, its cheap, and I don't have to do any mixing.

The reason why windex is not suggested is because of the ammonia in it, if the spray droplets get inside the tank it can kill your fish, if you spray it on a rag and not the glass then you minimize that risk. I use the windex made with vinegar, it works great on the tank and around the house, its cheap, and I don't have to do any mixing.

I use just straight up vinegar mixed with water... For everything pretty much! Don't like the chemicals in most household products.

Back
Top Bottom