Xp3 question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kaz

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am noticing some of my plants pieces stuck in the intake of the filter, I have also seen some get sucked in. is this bad? will it clog the filter?

Yeah it may clog the filter if it gets built up in the filter. You may notice reduced flow. I would open it if you notice reduced flow coming out of it and just look at the mesh filters.

if it clogs would I clean the part where the impeller is or just the baskets?

I just started with live plants revently and noticed all my plant pieces getting sucked in, never thought anything about it, cleaned my canister filter today, it looked like a wilted forest in there

Clean wherever you see the buildup. If it's in the impeller, clean the impellar. If the leaves are built up in the baskets, clean the baskets.

drobertson said:
I run sponge filters over the intakes of my filters, it helps protect the empeller and adds area for bacteria growth.

What kind of pre-filter u have?

My LFS carries these in different sizes for the different flows of filters, not sure of a name. It has good size pores, I have seen no reduced flow on any of my filters. This one is in my 10 gal, I do not Have a picture of the one that I run on my xp filter, but it is just like this one, only half again as big.

img_758855_0_312eebbeaba17b1fee693dba60691723.jpg

I've used sponges on my intake before, but it's always caused buildup in the tank, where if you have it off, the filter removes all the crud. I used to use the fine filter pads, but because it caused too much maintenance, I've removed them, and just use the sponges and biomedia. I now gett better flow, and clean the sponges on my regular maintenance. Since I have an empty basket, I'm thinking of adding more sponges.

Back
Top Bottom