Yay for new mollies!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

daydreamer4186

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have 3 gold dust mollies (2 females 1 male) and i have been trying to breed them for a while. I got 5 fry over quite a long period of time and was hoping for more. One females would always have stillborns or ones that would die a couple days later and the other would gobble her fry up before I got to them. About 15 minutes ago I noticed a few little wiggling things in the tank (separate from the main tank). The wonderful molly mommy had 11 healthy looking little fry! They are currently swimming about in their own little tank. Yay! I had to share the good news!

Can I make a few suggestions?

What is your tank setup?
Size?
COnfiguration?
Rocks?
Decorations?
Plants?

If you know this already then please excusee my comments but it is very helpful for the survival rate of new fish if you can provide them with some hiding places. It is pretty easy to do and will definitly help.

1) Try to get some live plans in your tank or at the least some fake plants that could provide a cover for new small fish. Plants that float at the top of the water are very good for providing hiding places.

2) The gravel you use (how big is it)? The larger the gravle the better is serves new fish as a hiding place. Many newborns go directly down to the bottom of the tank. If they have some larger gravel that they can hide in then it helps from other fish eating them.

3) If you have a breeders ned use it. If not get one and then when a new fish is seen take that fish and put it into the breeder net. IF you know the female fish is going to have babies try puttign her in the bredding net a few days before you think she is goign to have them.

Good luck.

Oh one last hting. If you think the female is going to have babies it is also helpful to turn off your lights for 2-3 days. Then when you turn them on look for new babies.

Congrats,

Since you put them in their own tank you have a good chance of having them survice. Just make sure to pay careful attention to the levels in the tank (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate). If the tank isn't cycled you can easily have them all die on you.

Also if you can feed them Baby Brine Shrimp, they will grow twice as fast, have a higher survival rate and be healthier in general.

Back
Top Bottom