Your Advice Please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

White Tigress

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello :)

I am seeking some advice for my new 55 gal tank. I've had fish years ago but this is my frist time with anything above a 20 gal in my home. I did work in a pet shop back in the 80's, but I know things change. First off, I have an undergravel filter with power heads, an Aqua Clear 300 and of course a heater. I have city water so I used a declorinator when filling the tank. For decorations I have two pieces of drift wood and various plastic plants. I don't know any levels at this time as I need to purchase test kits.

I've had the tank set up and running for about 3 weeks now, no fish yet. I have two questions, first is it okay/safe to put lava rock in my aquarium? I read somewhere that it is supposed to help with biological filtration. I do apologize if this question is a repeat.

Second, I am interested in rainbow fish, Boesmani (sp?), Threadfins, Madagasgar. I have also been told I could have Gertrudi, Gudgeon and Furcatas. If anyone could give me some advice on the listed fish I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks, Tigress

Welcome to Aquarium Advice.

Sounds like you are off to a good start...I would say that it really depends on the Lava Rock. Some has a very high IRON content while others don't... There is a company called FellerStone That makes a Lava Rock look alike that is great for putting in your tank..You can find it at most LFS's and Chain Pet Stores.

I am not sure on the fish you are asking about, so, I will let someone else have a shot at it...Good luck...

I have two questions, first is it okay/safe to put lava rock in my aquarium? I read somewhere that it is supposed to help with biological filtration.

Yeah it's fine, has a ton of surface area, thats where the help with biofiltration comes it.

First off, I have an undergravel filter with power heads

Some people still use these, but mosltly, they are out of favor, kinda old school. (that said, I still have a 20 high tank with one!) You can still use it, but you probably know, over time they collect a lot of waste underneath them which is difficult, if not impossible to clean out without tearing down the whole tank. If you decide not to use it, you would need more filtration than the AQ 300 will give you.

As for the fish you listed, I'm no help there, sorry.

timbo, corvuscorax,

Thank you both very much for replying. I just checked the lava rock I purchased the other day, but haven't put in the tank yet, it just so happens to be Feller Stone. Imagine my surprize. lol

Corvuscorax, thank you for the reminder about the undergravel filter. This is the set-up my lfs suggested so I thought I would give it a try. I figured down the road I could always take it out if things got too bad.

Thanks again, Tigress

Back
Top Bottom