FS: Duckweed (mature, and a tank full)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A

AbelaJohnB

I have duckweed..... body, do I have duckweed.

Right now I have an entire 55-long with the entire surface covered in duckweed. Some of it is -very- mature too. Stems that trail down 3-5 inches on some of the more mature lot. The stems are very thick on this batch, not that thin store-bot stuff that comes from low-light, bad water and no nutrition.

I have grown this under a CSL PowerCompact 4*96 so it's use to full light.

This is not something you'll want to buy simply to feed your first. You'll want to get this to start your own batch of duckweed.

Please note: There are multiple sub-species of duckweed in this particular tank. It got mixed together by someone who wasn't paying attention and "just threw". (I almost threw them when I found out)

I have tried -very- hard to keep my species pure, but this one tank failed. There may be your standard duckweed that you'd buy in the store, there may be California native duckweed (or whatever they choice to call it this year) or there may be African duckweed, or it could be multiple USA varieties. I have NO idea.... probably some of all three. There's at least two of them that part is know.

There were a few purple-leafed species last I looked, but those always seem to suffer under the more aggressive green species we're all so familiar with.

I have kept multiple tanks of this stuff, constantly growing it, for fish, ponds, decorative ponds, even feed some of it to my reptiles.

All of it is grown under pure PC lights. The lights stay 4-7 inches off the top of the water. This particular batch has been growing undisturbed for apprx. 14 weeks. It's healthy, mature and had a lot of my electric bill put into it. It's been under my brightest set of lights as I was wanting to see how well the purple variety would do. (I do not think it did so well.... have to try again)

I grow all of my duckweed in "red water". Red water is what we term water that has been turned a reddish/brown from very high levels of nutrition. I keep a great deal of drift wood (not that store bot crap that's for cosmetic purposes) and just a few fish in my systems. Please don't ask for the science behind this... I'm not one. I just know that after 3 years of trying to grow healthy and big duckweed.... what I've got going on works very well!

As stated, I've got an entire 55-gal tank surface of this unknown mixed species. Make me an offer on 1/4, 1/2 or the entire surface. Include the price your willing to pay, plus shipping. Shipping will be USPS Priority Mail. It will be inside of two bags and stuffed in a box. I'll not include any heat or ice packs. If you want overnight, the price goes up about $30 bucks and I -will- include heat/cold packs if you request it. Lower 48 States only.

I'll reply via PM if I like your offer or not.

(note: I have attached two images to this post... they are *not* of the duckweed in my tanks (found them on images.google) but they are good examples... read each image attachment note for more details)

People grow this on purpose? I worked my butt off to rid my tank of this (which now, it is) after it hitchhiked on a plant I bought. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

:mrgreen:

Sure :p People a lot more dedicated than I am grow this stuff.... and, the gators like it too :p

Sorry to rain on your parade, but good luck finding takers for it. It hitch hikes in with most every plant I buy. During the summer I feed it to my pond gold fish, they love it, but otherwise it's just a big annoyance.

What do those commercial growers grow it for? What purpose does it serve?

One guy I came across (where I got one of those photos) uses duckweed for wastewater treatment.

Check out his website at: http://www.ntrnet.net/~skilli/ He briefly explains his theories in the first paragraph.... with some very interesting methods!

And yes, most people use Duckweed to feed to gold fish and other high-vegi-demanding fish.

I even had a Sailfin Tang (SW) who loved the stuff. Can't saw how good the leftovers were for my tank cycle was though ;)

I know somebody out there want's this stuff!! :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom