2 blue dwarf crayfish questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cavnoe

Aquarium Advice Regular
I want to buy a blue dwarf crayfish to add to one of my tanks. The tank has blue pearl shrimp. I have been told conflicting information concerning crayfish. A shrimp breeder told me that I can buy any crayfish and it will not harm the shrimp. He said he used to have them for years with no problem. Another crayfish owner told me to only the dwarf crayfish can be kept with these shrimp.

Has anyone kept crayfish and shrimp together without their shrimp being eaten by the crayfish?

I also having trouble finding blue dwarf crayfish. If anyone knows where I can purchase some from please let me know.

I have dwarf crayfish with an active breeding community of ghost shrimp with no issues I'm sure a baby shrimp gets picked off every now and then but no problems. Also I know that my local LFS has some and they have a website and I'm pretty sure they will ship. Check out theplantedaquariumstore.com

Planted aquarium

Thanks for the information. I went to the site but the only dwarf crayfish they have is an orange one. I am looking for a blue dwarf crayfish. I have found lots of orange ones but never any blue ones for sale.

Call them up last time I was on there they had some blue ones in the store they may still have some left its a guy in his wife that run the store they are really nice, they may be willing to help you out even if they don't have any in stock.

So I called them as you suggested but the item is no longer in stock. The owner also told me that the blue dwarfs are not always blue. Very few are a true blue and most are just brown. I was told it is very rare to get the true blue dwarf cray fish. I hope I can find one. I guess I will just have to be patient and be ready to snatch one up when given the opportunity.

Sorry to hear about the luck I was hoping for you. I love my 2 dwarf orange crays they are really fun to watch.

Niceguy I will buy two orange dwayf crayfish. I hope I get a male and female. Then I will keep a look out for a true blue dwarf. Someone out there are the net will have one for sale. Eliteinverts has them for $12.

I just wanted to post an update. I purchased 3 dwarf orange crayfish this weekend. I also won an auction for 6 dwarf cajun crayfish. The cajun cray I will place in my large tank. The orange have gone into my cherry shrimp tank. Here is a picture of one of my female CPOs.

image-1463833280.jpg

I like the look of your tank. You have more plants then I do. I just add some Riccia covered stones. I just started them and they are starting to grow after just two days. My CPOs have also ignored all the caves I have made for them. They are hidding with the Cherry shrimp instead. I hope the cajuns adapt as well when I get them this weekend.

They love the plants they like to hide in them and crawl all over them they also love the driftwood. Just make sure they have plenty of places to hide to molt. Also they will fight over territory sometimes so may lose limbs in these skirmishes as long as they have at least one claw they will be fine and a new one will slowly grow back as they molt.

Both of my females came to me with a single claw. The male has two. One of my crays molted already. I found the empty shell in one of the caves. I guess they did use the caves I made for them. Like private dressing rooms. LoL

Yeah the first time I found a molt i thought I lost one I searched the tank for about 2 hours before I found him laying in a cave just hanging out.

I freaked because I thought the crayfish were killing the shrimp and collecting the bodies in the cave. It looked like to shrimp bodies. It didn't help that I was chatting on another thread and someone was saying CPOs eat Cherry Shrimp.

I haven't gotten the blue ones yet. They should be here Friday. I won an auction but it was for Cajun Crayfish. I got 6 of them for $21 including shipping. I wonder if that is a good price. I think it is.

When you are ready for a blue one let me know. The guy I got my Dwarf Orange CPOs from ships.

Back
Top Bottom