Amano shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Calvin and Kyle

Aquarium Advice Freak
So my girlfriend has Amano shrimp in a community 20 gallon fish tank and two of the 4 are pregnant.

We did absolutely nothing to cause the breeding and according to what I've read.. They shouldn't have bred otherwise.

They have been pregnant for probably 2 and a half months close to 3.

Will they ever birth? Or is it because they don't have the right conditions of water to do so?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have a female Amano that's been like that for a few months. I believe that they can become berried in FW but the actual hatching needs to take place in SW.

So... Forever pregnant? Or what's gonna happen?

So... Forever pregnant? Or what's gonna happen?

Idk. I first noticed it in late February and I can't remember if it has been like that the whole time. I have four shrimp in a heavily planted tank and don't always see them.
Edit: I imagine they will have to release the eggs at some point because it would interfere with molting.

The babies or the mother? I assume you mean the babies die because of the water not being salt.

Alright so here's to hoping they drop soon! Who knew they could hold em for nearly 80+ days.

Back
Top Bottom