Amano Shrimp Tips Please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bettafanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
I got some amano shrimp today. I understand how to care for them, but does anyone have some additional tips to make things smoother? Thanks!

A short story...

Mine love Hikari omnivore sinking wafers!

Once upon a time a well meaning shrimp keeper thought she was doing the right thing by her Algae eating shrimp.

When I put two of them in my dwarf shrimp tank I began by feeding them just small amounts of Algae wafers, plus it was a well established tank so I figured they would like to eat what ever was growing in there.

After a month or so when I would feed the dwarf shrimp, they were going crazy. Swimming around like mad shrimp, and by mad, I mean angry AND crazy. They would dive bomb the tiny shrimplets, for their Shrimp Cuisine bits. I fed sparingly as to keep the water quality as good as possible.

I received some Mystery snails and one ill-fated snail had a broken shell. The Shrimp were going insane trying to get that snail out of the shell (for dinner).

Slowly the circumstances were starting to make sense. I dropped in a couple of the sinking wafers, and they each grabbed it and ran away and munched happily in the Java Moss. So I am pretty sure that means they don't just eat algae, but are scavengers like the rest of the shrimp! :ROFLMAO:

They are my favorite really, although it was a little scary watching that Amano rolling around that snail in a frenzy trying to make dinner out of him... They are nice and big, easy to see and are full of aqua ballet shrimp antics. Very fun.

I have dw and Java moss and they pick and crawl and have fun all over it!

Thanks for the tips! I have some of the Hikari wafers that my cories wouldn't touch so I'll give those to them.

From a personal point of view, they might be pretty on the eye but they are the best clean up crew around, love my Amanos.

Back
Top Bottom