Blue african armored shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

danielt

Aquarium Advice Regular
He's not often out. Most of the time you see him standing at the entrance of one of his many caves just wafting his fans for food, but tonight he's been sat on the thermometer for hours. I love it when I see him out :)

image-464198110.jpg

image-2023684701.jpg

Ah, so lucky. I've never seen mine out once since I got it. :(

Well I'd had him for a couple month, having seen no sign of him at all, then I seen what looked like a shrimp spine ( I know such a thing doesn't exist. Wasn't thinking at all! Also didn't think they shed their skin ) so I presumed he died. Months had past and I was rearranging the tank. Took out a rock, and there he was underneath. I got such a fright. Was not expecting it at all! When did you get yours? It's a good sign you don't see them. Means they aren't hungry, or are in a good spot for the water flow. How I have my tank now, you can see through the rocks to where the water flows down, that's how I can see him.

Hmmm trying to remember..think it's been atleast 8 mos..maybe more. Mine is still much smaller and very blue. Filter feeders are really neat. I keep the bamboo shrimp as well. I'd like to get ahold of some of the smaller filter feeding shrimp like the green lace but they seem impossible to find.

Yeah. The lfs near me aren't too good. There's only one family run one, the rest are part of a chain, pets at home.

Have you any good facts or advice on keeping them? He seems to be doing great, but I just don't feel I know much about them. I researched before buying but never spoken to anyone with experience.

If it's usually at it's post with fans out than it's doing good! I have mine in a planted 20, which is small for several filter feeders, so I supplement regularly, especially if I see them picking at the substrate. I use a wide variety of supplements including ground spirunlia wafers/flakes, liquid phyto/zooplankton, bbs, microworms, OSI invert micro food, and even powdered and liquid fry foods. Most of the stuff I just have on hand anyway, but the OSI food and plankton liquid I get for them specifically.

I'll try that. There seems to be plenty little things floating around as it is, and I think, when I feed
The fish daphnia or brine shrimp, he eats the left over floating bits. But when ever I see him out, I use a pipette o feed him it directly. If he is actually eating that I'm not sure, but he waves his fans about.

Back
Top Bottom