Blue Crayfish & cichlids?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nrjking

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 230 litre cichlid tank (mixture, had it over a year, fish vary is size from 2inch to 7inch) also got a 4inch ruby shark and a 4inch sucker fish, 2 clown loaches - 3inch each.

Was interested in getting a neon blue Crayfish for doing tank cleaning.

There are rocks and sand in the tank and a few artificial plants.

I've been reading when the crayfish moulds, the cichlid go for them and when the fish sleep the crayfish go for them...

If I made a transparent enclosure inside the main tank for the crayfish would that work ok? I was thinking about 4inch high enclosure made from acrylic or similar, maybe 2 feet square.

With holes at the top for water flow and netting for any waste falling down for the crayfish to eat?

Do crayfish ever need to come to the surface?

Any opinions on the idea off the enclosure, or does someone have something similar?

I’m confused; will the cray be trapped inside the box inside the tank?

If you’re most interested in having it for scavenging purposes I don’t see how that will happen if he’s stuck in an acrylic box. And if he isn’t I don’t think it solves your problem; they’ll still try to eat each other depending on their relative size .

Back
Top Bottom