Cherry Shrimp Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_Desacrator

Aquarium Advice FINatic
1. Do they eats MTS?

2. Best sized tank? I have space for a 20 long but was unsure.

3. Plants are okay right?

4. I know I need something over the filter intake.

5. Do I need a full hood and everything or can the top of the tank be open to the air?

I'll post more as they come to me

Sent from my SM-G386T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

They don't eat MTS or even their own shrimplets.

I've successfully kept them in tanks as small as 1g; unless fish are also kept in the tank I personally think anything larger than 10g is wasting space. Just my opinion though.

Plants, mosses, and anything the will help with biofilm (leaves, cholla wood, etc).

Shrimplets are crazy tiny, people use sponge, nylon stocking, fine ss mesh for filter intakes. I just go with sponge filters.

Honestly not sure about hoods. I use them since my shrimp tanks are unheated.

Okay thanks. Here's a few more

In my experience 10g are just annoyingly small to have to deal with. I'd rather go big and waste space

Once shrimplets get large enough do you think I can trade them in for store credit?

I was gonna get LEDS and I'd like to just have that on top to make water changes easier

Any suggestions on a planted 20l wi th shrimp? I have a finnex 24h planted blah blah ( yet to use it. Room the tank is in is in chaos )

Sand or gravel? Or is it irrelevant?

Depends on your lfs. Mine currently has a tank of mixed color Neos they sell for $3 each. When I contacted them about CRS and fire reds they were very interested.

Check around about going without a hood/lid. I know from personal experience that Amanos are escape artists. Healthy shrimp are all over the tank, right now I'm actually watching some of mine hanging upside down from the floating plants.

I've done both sand and gravel. They aren't picky, just show colors better on darker substrate. My favorite is just basic black sand.

Thanks again.

Looks like hoods prevent evaporation but the lack of one makes maintenance way easier. :p

Back
Top Bottom