Contaminated plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shellyx

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi, yesterday I went and bought new plants for my tank i always get them from my lfs. After rinsing them i added them into my tank an hour later my amanos were lying on their backs and twitching, I managed to save some and put them in my African shrimp tank. So I've done a 50 % clean and planning on doing the same for a few days I've even thought of adding a carbon sponge in my filter. I'm going to give the shrimp a week before trying them back in the tank.
Has anyone else experienced this? And is there anything i could rinse my plants with that could make them safe for my shrimp? Thanks guy's.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

First thing that comes to mind is copper. Perhaps they were in an environment with excessive copper and they absorbed it and are now releasing it. Idk. Hope others chime in.

That's what I'm wondering as a friend mentioned copper. The thing is I've also bought my plants at the same place so I'm wondering if they've changed suppliers? I'm going to contact them tomorrow. Thanks

Hi!
This happened to me too. I sat and helplessly watched most of my shrimp die after adding a new plant to my tank. I had soaked the plant in dechlorinated water overnight and then rinsed it well. After adding it to the tank the shrimp all went to the top and acted strange then started dying. I did a quick water change and only managed to save three. I never did find out exactly what happened, so I'd be interested in any additional thoughts on this as well.

Hi!
This happened to me too. I sat and helplessly watched most of my shrimp die after adding a new plant to my tank. I had soaked the plant in dechlorinated water overnight and then rinsed it well. After adding it to the tank the shrimp all went to the top and acted strange then started dying. I did a quick water change and only managed to save three. I never did find out exactly what happened, so I'd be interested in any additional thoughts on this as well.

It's not nice to go through. I managed to save a few of mine but if I didn't have my other tank i would've lost them all. I'm unsure when i can add them back so I'm going to do another change tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom