Controlling ramshorn snails pop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shramp

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello again!

I am currently researching pink ramshorn snails and considering adding maybe 5 to my 37 gallon tank. I like how they look and have read they are great at helping maintain the tank too. However I see it is easy for their population to explode if you aren't careful.

To those who successfully keep or have kept ramshorn snails and kept their population in check, what do you do?

TIA!

Well I enjoy keeping RH snails. Mostly raised the red and red or pink and bronze to clear shells.

Over feeding is top issue in population exploding. I have low to 0 KH and don't get much in the way of over populating to adulthood.

It does seem those with high calcium and minerals in their water do have an easy time keeping all snails and have much better shells and grow larger.

I always have to add Cuttlebone. Also feed some mineral rich foods like for my dwarf shrimp. Like Glasgarten Mineral Junkie and various shrimp foods, plus a favorite food is Hikari Crab Cuisine. They contain good amounts of minerals for shell health. Hikari CC is very economical, and I would suggest that for just a few RH snails.

Back
Top Bottom