Do amano shrimps eat other shrimps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mmohamma

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello,

I have a 20G long shrimp tank. It's base is covered with monte carlo. I had some Amano shrimps and got 4 velvet blue and 4 yellow shrimps. NO FISH!!
bit by bit, I noticed that the velvet blue and yellow shrimps are disappearing. I'm down to 1 yellow, and the Amano shrimps are still going strong. My Question... do Shrimps eat other shrimps? I thought they lived happily ever after with each other until I saw this [picture]

Couple of the Amano shrimps are reaching 1.75" in length. should I separate them? Also, should I use shrimp food? I have a lot of baby shrimps, what's the best way to ensure their growth?

Thank you in advance,

Attachments

• IMG_0218.jpg
    IMG_0218.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 153
Amano shrimp love meaty foods. They really do eat algae too, but in my early shrimp keeping, I was feeding barely any food to the tiny shrimp / shrimp only tank and just algae type foods.

Can't recall at the moment which bottom feeder fish I added but I gave it a Hikari Omnivore sinking wafer and the Amano basically jumped out, mid wafer fall and grabbed it and the other Amano were about at war /seriously aggressive in their behavior to get the meaty wafer.

So maybe they are hungry. They eat much more than the smaller shrimp.

Is there a intake cover on the filter?

Is the water parameters set to the Neos specific care needs? They can be more sensitive than average Cherries.

What are your water parameters
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate

PH

KH/GH

TDS

Do you top off water from evaporation with tap water (dechlorinated), or RO, RO/DI or Distilled?

How often are you doing water changes and how much?

I would move the Amanos shrimp to a tank with small mouthed nice fish.

As for babies, I would use some specialty shrimp food if you are trying to get the best colors.

That said, the 2 kinds of shrimp are both Neocaridina unless the Yellow is a yellow King Kong Caridina.

The Neocaridina are very pretty and when kept with their own variety (ie. Blue Velvet) color shrimp, they breed true where most all their babies are like them.

But when you have 2 different color groups you risk them having assorted color babies in the tan, grey, clear color groups and after a few rounds of breeding with the pale "colorless" shrimp they will mostly be pale and have little color.

You can grab a bag of Crab Cuisine appx $3.99 at many stores. It has minerals needed for molting and good shell growth.

Add a chunk of bird Cuttlebone also for minerals. Pure unflavored, it floats for an undetermined amount of time. Eventually will sink. Put the hard shell side to the air when floating - when it sinks just sit it behind a plant or rock, soft side up/out. They eat off the soft side.

Thanks for the reply.

It's a 20G long planted tank. I have C02 injected with very little dosing of Nitrate. substrate is a mix of eco-complete topped with Fluval Stratum. The plants are doing well, so I don't need do add anything more. Natural algae generation is avg. I see some on the glass, and I scrape it once a week.

PH:7. I think the Stratum is doing its job. Tap water has a PH of 7.6
KH/GH: I don't have numbers, but I live in Denver CO and it has soft water.

I generally change the 25-30% (5G) of the water once every 2 weeks.

I use a lily pipe for filter. 50% of the suction is pointed for surface skimming. Is this a risk for babies getting pulled into the filter?

After I posted my first post, I put 2 Aqueon Algae rounds in the tank and exactly as you said. The Amano shrimps took it for themselves. both pieces disappeared within several hours.

Considering that the floor of the tank is covered with monte Carlo, do I need to do anything to increase the survival rate of the babies? I think I've had 2 sets of egg clutches but none has grown to be noticed.

My shrimp like subwassertang to chill in, or java or Christmas moss. Also they'll hide under and in the cracks of driftwood or rocks. Mine also colonized all my floating plants-- I'll open the tank and see baby shrimp crawling around on val leaves or in the clump of floating ludwigia they've claimed.

In the pic, you can just make out the half grown one to the left of the adult on the val-- he still hasn't colored up yet.

Attachments

• 20200321_185824.jpg
    20200321_185824.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 71
Hello,

I have a 20G long shrimp tank. It's base is covered with monte carlo. I had some Amano shrimps and got 4 velvet blue and 4 yellow shrimps. NO FISH!!
bit by bit, I noticed that the velvet blue and yellow shrimps are disappearing. I'm down to 1 yellow, and the Amano shrimps are still going strong. My Question... do Shrimps eat other shrimps? I thought they lived happily ever after with each other until I saw this [picture]

Couple of the Amano shrimps are reaching 1.75" in length. should I separate them? Also, should I use shrimp food? I have a lot of baby shrimps, what's the best way to ensure their growth?

Thank you in advance,

Oh my goodness, is that an amano shrimp devouring a blue velvet?

Geez, i have blue velvets in my tank, but it's a small community (one i pregnant so i'm starting to see a couple of baby shrimps - that has managed to hide away from the dwarf gourami eating them). the algae is growing faster than my shrimps can manage so i did consider getting amanos.

now looking at this picture... i'm really weary now. might just top up more blue velvets instead.

(sorry i couldnt' help with the info, but just want to let you know that your post is still very much appreciated! )

Back
Top Bottom