Fiddler Crab Post Molt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BJG

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
One of my female fiddler crabs just molted successfully:D unfortunately I didn't get to see the molt happen:/ she looks like she's doing good and I left her shell for her to eat. she is now sitting on top of a coral decoration with her belly flap kind of thing open and a big sponges thing sort of pulsing out of it.. and she's rubbing bubbles all over herself. this is the first time one of my crabs has molted so I just wanted to make sure all this is normal? does anyone know what this spongey thing is?

Attachments

• image-2003007730.jpg
    image-2003007730.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 78
I'm not an expert, but I have heard that females will carry their eggs in a mass under their bellies. It's hard to tell in the pic, but could this be what is happening?

After a little googling, I would say that you probably have a pregnant fiddler. Congratulations!

I'm not an expert, but I have heard that females will carry their eggs in a mass under their bellies. It's hard to tell in the pic, but could this be what is happening?

yeah sorry I just took it with my phone I'll have a new better pic up ASAP. it is possible I guess, there are two males in the tank with her and one other female so it's possible. it didn't look like there are any eggs though. it's just all black?

I wish I could help you. I know that it takes 2 weeks for her to incubate then she drops off the babies in the ocean and leaves them to their own devices. Maybe set up a nursery tank for the babies if you want to try to raise some. I think there will be like 100.

Back
Top Bottom