Fiddler Crabs! Show 'em Off! Talk about them!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Autumnsky

Site Team
Here is my Fiddler Crab enjoying a new "lily pad" which floats at the waterline and was made for small turtles. But seems to work perfectly for the Fiddler Crabs!

60074-albums11380-picture59484.jpg

60074-albums11380-picture59485.jpg

When we got them we thought that one was a female because at the time it had tiny claws. BUT its a boy.

This is big sexy claw Fiddler, but he passed away, perhaps due to a fight with the other one. We miss him.

60074-albums11380-picture53776.jpg

Now that we find the lily pad works well, probably we will be getting a couple more. We are using 1 tsp salt per gallon.

Our invert guy at the lfs said he has had his for 3 years with no extra salt.

I think they would rather have some salt in the water considering their natural habitat, so we added some natural mineral salt.

This is the 72G home to the Fiddler and his other friends. We leave the water down a couple inches so they can climb to the top of the DW branches.

Let's see your guys!

60074-albums11380-picture57008.jpg

I'm in love with your tank. It's stunning and fiddler crabs are cute. I want to add some to my tank in the future

I'm in love with your tank. It's stunning and fiddler crabs are cute. I want to add some to my tank in the future

Thank you very much for the compliment! :)

My daughters wanted them for a long time and I said no we don't have a set up good for them. After the lfs guy said he had kept them well in that type set up, we had to try our version.

I would love to make them a hamster habi-trail tube out the back to a little sand beach pod with a sunny light and some twigs, kind of like a hermit crab set up!!! They want to climb up the intake tubes anyway!

I have the back top of the tank with plastic and duct tape so he can't climb out the holes! :brows:

Thank you very much for the compliment! :)

My daughters wanted them for a long time and I said no we don't have a set up good for them. After the lfs guy said he had kept them well in that type set up, we had to try our version.

I would love to make them a hamster habi-trail tube out the back to a little sand beach pod with a sunny light and some twigs, kind of like a hermit crab set up!!! They want to climb up the intake tubes anyway!

I have the back top of the tank with plastic and duct tape so he can't climb out the holes! :brows:

That would be pretty cool, and yeah there little miniature escape artist. I could just see them climbing around in the little ham- trails. Have you ever had any problems with them and your fish?

No problems observed!

That would be pretty cool, and yeah there little miniature escape artist. I could just see them climbing around in the little ham- trails. Have you ever had any problems with them and your fish?

Have had this one for about 4 months, Big sexy claw for about two months, and I haven't seen any aggression either way and I have a funny assortment of fish in there.

Angels (young), Guppies and a few assorted Tetras, Harlequin Rasboras, large Red Tail Shark, Purple Spot Goby/gudgeon, will add a couple Siamese Algae Eaters pretty soon (previously had those and they died in my pH crash), old Blue Gourami, removing the Otos, but have to treat the tank for a sickness first.

Guppies will probably move too afterwards. Purple Spotted Goby is getting huge, he has a home waiting for him if he gets too crazy (getting about an inch larger than I understood them to get). Cardinals will move there from my other tank soon. (I am combining another tank with this one and moving a few fish and rehoming some as well to shut down one 37G tank) Too much info??? lol :lol:

Big Claw used to sit under the plastic on the rail looking around to find a way to get out and hung out on the out flow all the time! Like in the pic.

Wow, nice. I always thought that they would snap at the long flown fins on the angel and guppies. Nice stock btw, my stock is everywhere lol Mabye you fed the goby better then they did.

I think they could, but the females claws ARE very small and the males generally just wave and snap their claw for attention of the females. Crayfish can for sure snap things in pieces as I had that in previous tanks.

This Fiddler Crab thing is still relatively a new thing for me, another reason I was interested in everyone else's adventures.

I think they could, but the females claws ARE very small and the males generally just wave and snap their claw for attention of the females. Crayfish can for sure snap things in pieces as I had that in previous tanks.

This Fiddler Crab thing is still relatively a new thing for me, another reason I was interested in everyone else's adventures.

They don't seem to be pretty common in tanks. Crayfish are terrors in community tanks, well most species.

I have a Female about an 1" I had bought two more but both passed after about a month and a half. At first I figured the small female that died was killed by the male. But after reading up a lil I think it was lack of salt. Or maybe my aquarium just depleted them. Because the male died but had no wounds. I hope my female stays alive. She hasn't been as active. I made a small container with calcium sand and water with salt for hermit crab baths.

Attachments

• image-3161031495.jpg
    image-3161031495.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 85
Back
Top Bottom