Freshwater shrimp (UK)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dagon

Aquarium Advice Regular
My friend was considering catching some shrimp from the steam near him for his son to observe. If he does

1) Does he have any any hope of keeping them alive?

2). How should he set up his tank (a small unheated one)? (He has a rainwater but he could use for water)

3) what can he feed them?

Any thoughts welcome.

Thanks V much.

Last edited by a moderator:
My friend was considering catching some shrimp from the steam near him for his son to observe. If he does

1) Does he have any any hope of keeping them alive?

2). How should he set up his tank (a small unheated one)? (He has a rainwater but he could use for water)

3) what can he feed them?

Any thoughts welcome.

Thanks V much.

1) Yes possibly, BUT... a few thngs to know - Glad you/they are checking!

2) Best to have a cycled tank - for the large amount of important information, read the "getting started" thread linked in my signature.

Get Prime water conditioner, will ultimately be very useful

3)Shrimp are scavengers and will eat lots of things, but it may be helpful to try to get them to eat pellets. Hikari makes a food called Crab Cuisine appx. $5. and it is available online and at (Petco in US) and likely many nice local fish stores (lfs). Other foods are available for shrimp specifically and a high quality brand should work fine too.

Don't be confused by a food called shrimp pellet, it is not meant to feed shrimp it is MADE FROM shrimp. Not a good shrimp food.

~~~~
So many people keep shrimp here, myself included. Do you know what kind of shrimp these are? How large do the adult shrimp seem to get?

If they are FW - freshwater, clearish and about an inch long they could be grass shrimp.

Hi - thanks for the reply & sorry for the slow response (I've been away).

All great advice - on the basis of what you say he has decided not to risk it.

If the shrimp are the same as I used to fish out of our local stream when I was a kid ( which I guess they are even though they are at the other of the country) they get to a centremetre or so long.

Back
Top Bottom