fresh water- learning all over again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kerisaquamafia

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all,
A long time ago...... when I was living with my parents ( I am 45 now), we had a fish tank. My dad was a hap hazard kind of guy. Fish did well considering he didn't check water and such. So its now 2022 and I have a little 10 gallon tank. It's a starter. Personally I want to see how well I can do this tank and then advance as time goes on. I live in Texas. Very hard water. I had to work on getting the pH to 6.5 and that took a great deal of pH increase. I have used aquarium salt and I have to say my finned friends are doing quite well.
My heater doesn't have a control but my thermometer shows 80 degrees which is ideal temp. I have 2 gold dust mollies, 2 Danios, 6 small tetras and some shrimp - ghost, chocolate, and 4 cherry ones. They are truly doing well. I have used 2 live plants. 1 nerite snail that my son had me get as well.
I check the water to make sure nitrates are not existent. I have a great filter.
I have caves, and other decorations.
My question is how will I know when to take the next step. What is a good next size to consider. I love watching them swim and I am trying to figure out which sex is which on my mollies.
I didn't think that I would enjoy a tank again this much at my age. I just want to do right by my finned friends and keep them happy and right side up.

I was a little upset today at the pet store because they were selling some fish that were dying. I wish there was a actual fish store where I live. Sadly the one we had in the area closed. What is your suggestion on obtaining new fish?
Thanks all
Keri :fish1:

I had large tanks about 40 years ago also and Just fairly recently I got back into it and found out it is a whole different word as so much has been learned about how to keep fish.
I also now just have a 10 gal tank as I presently live in an apt.

Tanks have to be "cycled".... and there is info on this site on how to do that and why is is necessary,

About Nitrates.....
You will end up with some nitrates but that is not a bad thing as unless it is really high it is not really toxic to fish.
Besides plants need some nitrate to grow and be healthy

BTW, do not confuse Nitrate with Nitrite as Nitrite is toxic to fish

Congratulations on enjoying your newly re-found hobby! Sounds like you've thoughtfully made a nice setup.

The question of what size next is such a personal one. You haven't mentioned dreaming of some giant tank with half the ocean swimming in it, so my guess would be that you're looking to move up slowly, like maybe with a 20g. And if all goes well, maybe a 65 gallon after that? When I go into fish stores I'm always drawn to the different size tanks, imagining if I'd want this shape or that size in my home. Some are very attractive indeed but the price, unless it's on sale, is prohibitive. Check out what's available where you are and see if anything appeals.

I understand about big box stores vs local small fish stores. There are some good sources online, just name a fish (or snail or shrimp, etc) and websites will pop up. I sometimes go to ebay for this and have bought a number of plants and critters from small local (someone else's local) breeders. They pack thoughtfully, ship on Monday-Tuesdays so no live fare will be stuck in a warehouse to die over a weekend; almost everyone has arrived alive.

All shippers of live stock will warn that, before opening their package, inspect carefully to see if anyone has died. They will replace the dead if you photograph it in original unopened packaging and contact them within 30-60 min. In other words, they do their best to make sure the cargo you paid for arrives alive, but they do cover only shipping. Anything that occurs once the fish is in your tank is on you. FYI, I've had almost 100% live arrivals no matter what I've bought online. Occasionally someone turns belly-up within a few days (this happened last week with an O-Ring snail), but, as my elderly fish-expert neighbor says, "That's the breaks, kid".

Hi all, I’ve just purchased a new light for my aquarium, I set it up in my tank on Friday, but it’s very bright, I’m a little concerned that it’s too light for my guppies and mollies, one of my mollies died this morning and I’m wondering if he was stressed due to the bright light.

That is why i got an adjustable light,,,, for brightness and color.
This is for placement on a glass hood of course.
In any event, I doubt that the fish died due to the light.

Cut some strips of black duct tape and stick over the fitting. If you cover say 20% of the length of the fitting you reduce the light output by 20%.

BTW, just in case some do not realize...
With any light try to create a somewhat natural day-night sun cycle for the fish

Even fish have their own version of sleeping when it naturally gets dark.
Some lights can even imitate moon light....dawn /dusk light via different settings.

In other words, you do not want to go from darkness to total brightness instantly as it will startle fish.

Back
Top Bottom