ghost shrimp and RCS?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alLexX

Aquarium Advice Addict
so, my lfs finally got RCS(been wanting them for a while). the only tank they would have ANY chance of survival in is my 10, with ghost shrimp(my paradise fish in my 20 would shred them, and well, my jewel babies are like... baby piranhas). ive heard of them eating smaller shrimp though. what do you guys think? should i get a couple?($3 each)

I have keep ghost shrimp and while they are aggressive feeders, I have never had them attack anything. I would say ghost shrimp and RCS would be fine together, but have heard of overly aggressive ghost shrimp before.

--Adeeb

Tetra1990 said:
Be careful with inbreeding, the babies will become the natural brown color.

Ghost shrimp "Palaemonetes paludosus" can not interbreed with the Cherry Shrimp "Neocaridina heteropoda" so there is no worry there. Just make sure not to keep the cherry shrimp with other Neocaridina species like Blue Velvet, otherwise you will end up with brown shrimp. Ghost shrimp will eat baby cherry shrimplets however.

so, my lfs finally got RCS(been wanting them for a while). the only tank they would have ANY chance of survival in is my 10, with ghost shrimp(my paradise fish in my 20 would shred them, and well, my jewel babies are like... baby piranhas). ive heard of them eating smaller shrimp though. what do you guys think? should i get a couple?($3 each)

I bought 12 off eBay for 14 bucks got males and females and both female were pr ego after their first molt in the tank. The only draw back is you don't get to pick your female's. I got really nice ones. so you may want to look around online.
there are several places that sell them.

i would definitely order online,but my parents wont let me. so i can only really get them there. i think ill get them, and theres absolutely no chance of me getting shrimp that cherries can breed with, i think 3 bucks is a lot for shrimp :p

alLexX said:
i would definitely order online,but my parents wont let me. so i can only really get them there. i think ill get them, and theres absolutely no chance of me getting shrimp that cherries can breed with, i think 3 bucks is a lot for shrimp :p

Got ya! Go for it they are awesome. And if you get a male and female you will most like have a lot more in a month or so lol

$3 about the going rate per RCS ... around here it's $4. If you get 4-5 and have at least 2 females, your bound to build up a colony. May take several months depending on the survival rate of the shrimplets. Baby RCS don't always have that hide to survive instinct early.

Back
Top Bottom