Aggressive Ghost Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Missklc

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have 3 ghost shrimps in a heavily planted 5.5 gallon aquarium. They are all really active and I love them. I see them out and about swimming, eating, etc everyday.
I have I think two females and a male (significantly smaller). Huey, Dewey, and Louie (Silent Running reference).

Well Huey just molted, and is the biggest of them, Dewey I was keeping an eye on, I think she was getting ready to molt, she looked milky, but was still active and her tail wasn't milky.
I was finishing teaching an evening class, and noticed a lot of activity in the dark tank and turned the light on. Huey ( the big one) was attacking a very alive Dewey. Like Dewey was fighting back and actively going into plants to hide, well Huey was following each time, and eventually pinned and dragged Dewey into their cave. I just fished out Dewey's dead body not 5 minutes after the ordeal happened.
I've looked up other shrimp and Huey looks very much like a Ghost shrimp, and not like others that are referenced with aggressive shrimps. I cannot find anything about this kind of behaviour.

I.. honestly got too attached (quarantine) and am heartbroken, and am worried Huey will go for Louie. Is this common? Was Dewey sick and Huey sensed it? Does anyone have anything to explain this behaviour?

Please help my poor over attached heart.:confused::(

Can you post a picture? When dealing with aggressive ghost shrimp the first question is always what kind of shrimp. Lots of clear shrimp are sold as ghosts and you should confirm you don’t likely have one of the more aggressive species. Do you see any dark lines like vertical stripes on yours near the head? How about red bands on the arms?

Otherwise all you can really do is add densely planted areas, cholla wood, or other decor so there are lots of hiding places to get away. Shrimp are opportunistic and whisker shrimp and even some ‘true’ ghost shrimp have been know to take advantage of another molting shrimp. You could also consider feeding more frequently so they are less tempted to hunt.

Back
Top Bottom