Ghost shrimp gave birth.. questions about breeding/other fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TropicalChica

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi! I have a fluval flex 32.5 that has 5 ghost shrimp, 3 cherry shrimp, a german blue ram and gold ram couple, a dwarf gourami, 5 panda cories and 2 snails.. 2 of my ghost shrimp gave birth and I noticed my fish are eating them.. I wondered if this is okay and then I also wondered how high of a tank I would need to breed shrimp if this is something good for my fish? I know fish eat shrimp but I guess I want to check on the varieties bc I know a lot of times fish come from different areas so maybe ghost shrimp wouldn't be a healthy food certain fish? I am really new to this, I have only had my fish and my tank fir a little over a year. I also noticed since joining that maybe I have too many fish in my tank? I'll probably post a question about that too.

That is a 32.5 gallon tank, right? You mention the 8 fish above? That is not over stocked. A breeding pair of fish can appreciate a private space, but unless this pair of Rams is very aggressive, they might be able to live in the same space.

As for raising the shrimp just for the fish, personally, I would not really feed shrimp to them as a.mainstay diet. It is sure that some might be enjoyed by the fish. Especially smallish more bite sized shrimp. They would be better nutritionally if you get the little shrimp filled up with mineral rich and nutritious food.

Mysis shrimp are available in the frozen fish food section too.

Thank you! I think everyone in the tank seems to get along but I was worried about oxygen.. I'm really new to this, I have only had fish for about a year and a half... and the gourami and shrimp I have only had for a few months. I feel like I get so panicked about each new thing that happens s bc I love my rams and cories so much ha. Thank you for the info on the shrimp! If they do eat those from time to time they will be okay though? I definitely wont try breeding

They will be fine scooping up some shrimp. They might breed and some babies survive to help replace other breeding adults. You could add an air bubbler to increase the oxygen.

Thank you!.. is an air stone the same as a bubbler bc I do have an airstone.. sometimes the shrimp play in it haha

Back
Top Bottom