ghost shrimp question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kwandrsn

Aquarium Advice Addict
I recently bought 8 ghost shrimp.
The first day they were pretty active now a few days later I may only see one or two and they are hiding in the plants the rest are hiding under the driftwood and stuff. They don't seem very active and I found a dead one today. I feed my fish flakes and my cories bottom feeder tablets. My water is ok ammonia is 0.25 nitrites are 0 and nitrates are 5-10.
I'm wondering if they are not getting enough to eat. Is there something I can do to ensure they are eating enough? Is this normal behavior for ghost shrimp?

From my experience, sounds fairly natural behavior. They'll actively explore the first day or two, searching for food, checking out their surroundings ... assuming they don't feel threatened. Then, it's like they get lazy, just hang around plants and under DW.

A dead new Ghost shrimp is par for the course, don't be surprised if you see another one or two. I'd wager they're scavenging enough food to keep them fed.

I totally agree. I have ghosts in my 15g that I never see. I mean never. The only reason I know they are still alive is because I stir them out by accident when I'm cleaning the tank. And I wouldn't worry about feeding them. It's their job to scavenge and they are good at it. :) they even eat fish poo... I've seen them do it... Gross...

I have red cherry shrimp that i only see once in a while. They hang out beneath a fairly large piece of driftwood in my 45g tank

Check your tank parameters to make sure its good. Also the dead one could have been from molting, being the exoskeleton. Was it white or pinkish?

The tank parameters are good and it was the whole shrimp and not an exoskeleton. it was kinda white I guess but I inspected it real good. How often do they molt?

The tank parameters are good and it was the whole shrimp and not an exoskeleton. it was kinda white I guess but I inspected it real good. How often do they molt?

Kind of depends on how fast they grow, but I've heard molting can happen every coupe of weeks. Sucks when you lose a shrimp, but it's par for the course with new Ghosts.

Back
Top Bottom