ghost shrinp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquaplanner

Aquarium Advice Activist
I notice that some of my ghost shrimp bend there tails under there body and almost look like as they're eating them. How do I sex them to, I'm planning to breed them, not seriously though since they need brackish water, but I'll try!:)

aquaplanner said:
I notice that some of my ghost shrimp bend there tails under there body and almost look like as they're eating them. How do I sex them to, I'm planning to breed them, not seriously though since they need brackish water, but I'll try!:)

The bending the tail part I believe they all do that. The sexing I've never really cared about with them. Not sure what kind you have but this link may help if nobody chimes in.
http://www.planetinverts.com/shrimp_reproduction.html

They're ghost shrimp, and do you know why try bend their tails?

i think That is a normal behavior. (Mine did it too) And most ghost shrimp require brackish water to breed. And they have a larval stage that is hard to care for.
If you want to breed buy some neocaridina shrimp.they are very easy. Red cherries are the cheapest and most readily available (in my area at least). there are tons of color variations. You can check out eliteinverts.com

I believe that behavior is called fanning. It's what shrimp do to keep their eggs aeriated. Idk why they do it without eggs though. Maybe it's the equivalent of a fly rubbing its legs together

Back
Top Bottom