Got bored and made a molt mount of my bamboo shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dbigfish

Aquarium Advice Activist
Got bored and made a molt mount of my bamboo shrimp. This was my first attempt I may try again now that my shrim is starting to develop more vivid patternings

Attachments

• image-78555057.jpg
    image-78555057.jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 1,435
Wow! That's awesome. I've never seen that done before. Looks like it'd be pretty time consuming, how long did it take?

All said and done about 15 or 20 minutes of actually working with the molt and another 20 just letting it dry

I really want to do a crayfish next because they seem much easier to work with and I could pose one in a more life like position just because of their body shape.

Well like I said its pretty easy if you want to know how I went about doing it

Very Cool! I'd love to try that sometime. Are there any kind of chemical preservatives you need to use or anything like that?

Looks awesome! Sorry but I'm unfamiliar with this particular craft... Can you talk a bit of how you did it?

Basically I just thought I would be a cool thing to do one day so when my bamboo shrimp molted I put the shell in a cup but the cup in the freezer and went out and got some borax from Walmart. It just a big box the says borax it's a household cleaning agent in powder form and costs like 3.50$ I thawed out the shrimpcycle and brought 2 cups of water to a simmer then added the shell along with a half cup of borax. You don't want to boil the shell because the violent water may break off some of the more delicate parts. After simmering for a few minutes take out the shell and use a tooth pick to pose it anyway you want it then just let it sit and dry. After that you want to have some sort of protective covering for it. I used an old paper clip container but something like a shadow box would be ideal. A dab of super glue on the tail will keep it from going anywhere

You're right! That doesn't sound too complicated at all. I'm sure it'll take a couple tries for me though.
Thanks for the directions, I'll definitely have to try it when I get some more free time

Back
Top Bottom