Here is a nice shrimp I got free with some fish and plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brennae

Aquarium Advice Addict
RCS

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1441663225803.jpg
    1441663225803.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 79
I thought so. He looks better in person. Just using a camera phone.

Very nice! Was it a hitchhiker?

Yes indeed. The breeder I bought corydoras habrosus from accidentally scooped him out and said I could have him. He had shrimp in most of his tanks. I'm new to shrimp so I didn't want to buy more before I see how the ones I already got do.

Hard to tell from the picture but I think your 'he' might be a 'she'. Look on the back, just behind the head, a female will have a lighter saddle shape where the eggs are stored. Males are often less of a block red and can be less striking than the females.
They are really easy to keep and breed and are an interesting addition to a tank.
The fish will pick off some of the babies but with plenty of cover, moss is very good, the numbers will soon increase.
I started with a few and now have loads, despite the tank being heavily stocked with fish.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1442007074.119629.jpg
These are my overflow which I keep in the quarantine tank.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Hard to tell from the picture but I think your 'he' might be a 'she'. Look on the back, just behind the head, a female will have a lighter saddle shape where the eggs are stored. Males are often less of a block red and can be less striking than the females.
They are really easy to keep and breed and are an interesting addition to a tank.
The fish will pick off some of the babies but with plenty of cover, moss is very good, the numbers will soon increase.
I started with a few and now have loads, despite the tank being heavily stocked with fish.
View attachment 277948
These are my overflow which I keep in the quarantine tank.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I'll have to check for the saddle shape. Do I need to put more shrimp in that tank? There is only the one.

Only if you're hoping for shrimplets! It's not like cories like company or tetras should be in a school. I've had a lone shrimp in a 2.5g for almost a month now. Active, great color, no problems.

Ok
I'm not sure shrimplets would make it in this tank. I have dwarf emerald rasboras and I think there is a scarlet badis in there too. It's so heavily planted and the fish hide so much I don't see them except for the c. Habrosus

Badis would likely gobble up babies! Very nice hitchhiker! You could even have the shrimp in a planted bowl kind of set up. Personally, I like shrimp near where I sit ir sleep so you can easily watch them, they are pretty small and harder to see if you don't have perfect eyesight, lol.

So having them where you can really watch them is far more interesting than just knowing it is in there somewhere. Shrimp (all kinds) are one of my favorite kinds of aqua critters!!! Great with a nice special Ramshorn or other snail(s). The bright reds also show up so nicely against green moss and plants. <3

Back
Top Bottom