Is this coloration normal on Mystery Snail shell?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

katiec0503

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I've had my mystery snail for about 2 weeks now and he's grown quite a bit. Is this color change on his shell normal? He seems happy, moves around a lot & eats well.

I feed him spinach, zucchini, and algae wafers. I know he also eats the leftover sinking pellets from my pearl danios.

I just want to make sure something isn't wrong ?

Attachments

• PXL_20210909_223832081.jpg
    PXL_20210909_223832081.jpg
    261.2 KB · Views: 92
When they are being raised, often they have a really mineral rich environment, possibly optimum water hardness, great diet. When they go to a new home, the water and foods are different and then their shell will change color sometimes lighter and sometimes darker.

So it is a normal occurrence. Just take a look at the new shell, does it look strong
or very thin? What mineral content in the water, especially KH / calcium / alkalinity.

You can make adjustments if you notice any issues. If needed you can increase the calcium in the water, feed a shrimp or crab food with the necessary minerals and dietary requirements for an animal which needs to produce a shell.

Not too long ago I had Blue Mystery snails and for some reason the shells became more blue in my tanks. I will supplement them with Hikari Crab Cuisine and have a Cuttle bone in the tank too.

But they eat all foods/ leftovers whenever possible, covering the food with their massive body. Before that I did notice with one group I purchased they had been in harder water before I got them and I noticed shell erosion from my low / almost no KH tap water (when I had stopped using a calcium additive to see how it went with my pH and tank stability).

Kent's Marine Superbuffer dKH is what I have used, and it is fairly low priced. I got the larger container maybe 2x the size, for not much more than the smaller container last time.

Back
Top Bottom