My crayfish molted, what do I do to help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Divis_Julius

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Should I be adding calcium or iodine to the tank or something? I've never kept one so I'm unsure of procedure here.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121229_122518.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121229_122518.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 97
Not to sure but don't they do it because their skin is to small? I'd have to do some research though I'm not sure since I've never had one. I'm sure someone on here will chime in though

Apparently calcium helps make the shell harder but the crayfish doesn't leave the exoskeleton until it feels it is hard enough. But still I don't have any experience with them.

You shouldn't have to add anything. Sometimes he will eat his shedded exoskeleton for calcium. His new exoskeleton will harden and he will be fine.

crayfish molt

i had heard that a bird cuttlefish bone would help with shrimp i dont own either but it is worth a shot but ask others since im giving second hand news

If the cray has been growing fine, it's been getting calcium somewhere. It can also reabsorb the calcium in its shell by eating it. If you have any snails, they are a good indicator of calcium deficiency. In water with no calcium, snail shells tend to be soft and pitted. If you're not seeing any problems like that, the cray should be fine. Especially after he eats himself. Lol

If the cray has been growing fine, it's been getting calcium somewhere. It can also reabsorb the calcium in its shell by eating it. If you have any snails, they are a good indicator of calcium deficiency. In water with no calcium, snail shells tend to be soft and pitted. If you're not seeing any problems like that, the cray should be fine. Especially after he eats himself. Lol

The snail in my tank doesn't look too good. But he wasn't perfect when I got him.

I use a chunk of bird cuttle bone (no additives). It will sink after awhile then i just push it into the sand and the shrimp/or cray can go over to it whenever they want.

Be cautious and follow instructions on the mineral stuff!

Back
Top Bottom