Please help identify my shrimp!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bakablah

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys,

Couple of days ago, I bought a Darwin Algae Eater from my LFS.
I noticed the shrimp and the pictures of DAE on the internet, some features of my shrimp doesn't quite match the ones online.
yOfOrC3.jpg

Notice my shrimp have two front pincers that's long and thin.
He's around an inch long.

The ones of DAE that i find on the internet lack that feature. So I'm at a loss what kind of shrimp this is.

Second question:
It's been a couple of days since this fella been introduced to the tank, I noticed his body color are starting to change color towards the red/pinkish hue. Is he doing ok? I heard substrate and the food he eats affect how they look?
My tank substrate is Eco-complete and the food he's been picking on are probably left overs from Tetra color flakes the fish left behind.

That's him this morning. The shell color is more noticeable than the first picture.
DoSCBXN.jpg

Thanks!

Looks like it might be an American Glass shrimp, I haven't ever seen them with my own eyes but have read that they have long pincers. They look a lot like ghost shrimp, but I do believe they are different. Here's a link I found with the shrimp that looks almost identical, but it's in a saltwater tank: Ghost Shrimp Fs Hope this helped!

Wow thanks guys, it does looks like mine is a whisker shrimp.
I read them up and it say they are a predator shrimp and eat fish...

Are my fish safe? I know my fish treats it like a 'monster of the deep'.

What should I feed it? Or will it just scavenge off whatever the fish left over?

Back
Top Bottom