Please Identify This Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don’t think so. It doesn’t have that highly arched back that the ghosts have.

Difficult to take close up because phone camera show blurred image. Here I try to took a picture. Please have a look.

IMG-20171105-WA0010.jpg

Cherry can breed tan/clear. Like a wild one.
Probably yes because as far as I know only put cherry shrimps in this tank. So this might be colorless cherry shrimps. I have few of them now including some juveniles as well.

Some young ones might get some color as they grow to adults. Often stores have mixed Neocaridina shrimp in their tanks and often the result is a variety of babies.

My first shrimp were mixed Cherries from a guy who had just been adding any and all Neos into his tanks, with some buying, but mostly he was trading things for other things. They were actually really neat shrimp. Some were clear more like those in your pic. But there were around (a little more than) 1/3 reddish and a little less bluish grey, and the other ~1/3 were tan /clear. But there were a few other colors too which would pop out, white, green, yellowish, black. The blue were the ones I was trying to breed. (It didn't really work out but had some nice mixed shrimp.)

Wish I had got better pics of them ~5 years ago.

The clear tannish ones would be the culls if you were trying to breed the Cherries for better color. Shrimp are just very interesting to watch no matter what color they are. They are fun tank critters. Culling is often feeding to other fish BUT not necessary, many hobbyist breeders just move all not best color shrimp to a separate tank or sold for tank cleaners, that way not being killed. (y)

Some young ones might get some color as they grow to adults. Often stores have mixed Neocaridina shrimp in their tanks and often the result is a variety of babies.

My first shrimp were mixed Cherries from a guy who had just been adding any and all Neos into his tanks, with some buying, but mostly he was trading things for other things. They were actually really neat shrimp. Some were clear more like those in your pic. But there were around (a little more than) 1/3 reddish and a little less bluish grey, and the other ~1/3 were tan /clear. But there were a few other colors too which would pop out, white, green, yellowish, black. The blue were the ones I was trying to breed. (It didn't really work out but had some nice mixed shrimp.)

Wish I had got better pics of them ~5 years ago.

The clear tannish ones would be the culls if you were trying to breed the Cherries for better color. Shrimp are just very interesting to watch no matter what color they are. They are fun tank critters. Culling is often feeding to other fish BUT not necessary, many hobbyist breeders just move all not best color shrimp to a separate tank or sold for tank cleaners, that way not being killed. (y)
Thanks Ma'am yes in my case its the same situation. I have seen many clear shrimps in my tank and I am now sure they are cherries. I have yellow, Red, crystal blacks and crystal reds in my tank. I can't kill them by feeding to fish and can give to fish store with instructions to not feed to fish. For now I am keeping all. I am interested in getting some blue velvets and chocolate shrimps so I will have different mixed color species lol. I don't know what I can do. Maybe will buy a small tank for them. I love colors in shrimps mostly and not there grades. For example I like A grade crystal shrimps more than SSS grade. I like more black rounds on my Shrimps. So instead of buying SSS which were in Stock and I could buy gladly but I choose A grades because I love there appearance more.

In shrimp hobby I see one thing that its like a prestige thing too to have SSS shrimps even if they don't look as beautiful as normal ones. But maybe its me who like A grades more. Lol.

Anyways I m enjoying my shrimp hobby.

I want to ask you one question. How often you feed your shrimps and what you feed? Thanks.

I feed everything, lol!

Yes, if you are mixing the shrimp and they are for pets, not breeding it doesn't matter except that you will end up with any and everything for babies.

For breeding of course the higher quality are what the breeders are working towards, but for appreciating the shrimp I love all of them except the clear bodies on the CRS/PRL - I like them to have opaque white shell not clear. Love tall the contrast between the black or red and white, it looks great!

As for food. I now have the PRL and they are the breeding group so I am trying out new "shrimp foods" I was given when I bought them.

I try and make sure they have a very varied diet. Figuring if they need some sort of nutrient I will make sure to cover the spectrum of variety so they will get it.

Lately, since I am getting low on the samples of foods I will be buying a few sample packs of food from the "shrimp food" sellers.

These last few weeks the PRL have been getting about 8 types of foods.

Always have freeze dried and frozen foods and cut off some of the frozen cubes to feed. Defrost frozen of course is best option as well as rehydrate dried foods too.

[I am allergic to Blood worms and Black worms so previously I would feed them but now can not]

The worms, and brine shrimp, both frozen and dehydrated and the Spirulina brine shrimp too. I have found that using a pipette, I have some disposable plastic ones work great, use and rinse out and reuse until too dirty.

Mysis shrimp sparingly as shrimp turn to ammonia pretty quickly.

Hikari Micro pellets are fed to the Chili Rasboras, so the shrimp get those left overs at least 4-5 times a week as the fishes staple food.

Once in a while Hikari Bottom omnivore feeder wafers Clown Loach on front, orange trim on package, broken in 6-8 small chunks. And a little of the Crab Cuisine, whole pellets or broken into smaller pieces. I have bought them the Shrimp Cuisine and they seemed disinterested but would eat it if I didn't give them anything else. Anf tiny amounts of the First Bites Fry food as well.

I like a couple of Marine foods which have algae and a good variety of green foods.
Omega One Marine mini pellets which I smash all the pellets to smaller bite size pieces for the Chilis but not necessarily for the shrimp.

Foods with astaxanthin and another thing is the beta glucan is good for them too.

Once every couple weeks some tiny Micro Pearls, they cause ammonia spikes if not used very sparingly (for each feeding time) in my experience. They are good but just watch water quality.

I use all kinds of leaf litter, I use my own oak leaves, and get Guava, mulberry, I use the Indian Almond leaves in small sizes or pieces, others I am not thinking of atm.

A couple one inch pieces of Seaweed salad it comes in sheets for Marine fish once in awhile.

Started feeding an occasional blanched veggie or quality leaf lettuce.

Also use Cuddle bone for birds plain no additives and put in the back of the tank for them to nibble if wanted, otherwise it dissolves naturally in the water current. You can cut the long big ones long wise with a good chopping knife, and use half at a time for smaller tanks (or in 4 squares for smaller tanks). I have very low kH and not very high mineral content, so a little extra is good.

Also using powder too now Borneowild White Ebi Mineraru 2, and plan to get some biofilm food after reviewing more types.

I feed everything, lol!

Yes, if you are mixing the shrimp and they are for pets, not breeding it doesn't matter except that you will end up with any and everything for babies.

For breeding of course the higher quality are what the breeders are working towards, but for appreciating the shrimp I love all of them except the clear bodies on the CRS/PRL - I like them to have opaque white shell not clear. Love tall the contrast between the black or red and white, it looks great!

As for food. I now have the PRL and they are the breeding group so I am trying out new "shrimp foods" I was given when I bought them.

I try and make sure they have a very varied diet. Figuring if they need some sort of nutrient I will make sure to cover the spectrum of variety so they will get it.

Lately, since I am getting low on the samples of foods I will be buying a few sample packs of food from the "shrimp food" sellers.

These last few weeks the PRL have been getting about 8 types of foods.

Always have freeze dried and frozen foods and cut off some of the frozen cubes to feed. Defrost frozen of course is best option as well as rehydrate dried foods too.

[I am allergic to Blood worms and Black worms so previously I would feed them but now can not]

The worms, and brine shrimp, both frozen and dehydrated and the Spirulina brine shrimp too. I have found that using a pipette, I have some disposable plastic ones work great, use and rinse out and reuse until too dirty.

Mysis shrimp sparingly as shrimp turn to ammonia pretty quickly.

Hikari Micro pellets are fed to the Chili Rasboras, so the shrimp get those left overs at least 4-5 times a week as the fishes staple food.

Once in a while Hikari Bottom omnivore feeder wafers Clown Loach on front, orange trim on package, broken in 6-8 small chunks. And a little of the Crab Cuisine, whole pellets or broken into smaller pieces. I have bought them the Shrimp Cuisine and they seemed disinterested but would eat it if I didn't give them anything else. Anf tiny amounts of the First Bites Fry food as well.

I like a couple of Marine foods which have algae and a good variety of green foods.
Omega One Marine mini pellets which I smash all the pellets to smaller bite size pieces for the Chilis but not necessarily for the shrimp.

Foods with astaxanthin and another thing is the beta glucan is good for them too.

Once every couple weeks some tiny Micro Pearls, they cause ammonia spikes if not used very sparingly (for each feeding time) in my experience. They are good but just watch water quality.

I use all kinds of leaf litter, I use my own oak leaves, and get Guava, mulberry, I use the Indian Almond leaves in small sizes or pieces, others I am not thinking of atm.

A couple one inch pieces of Seaweed salad it comes in sheets for Marine fish once in awhile.

Started feeding an occasional blanched veggie or quality leaf lettuce.

Also use Cuddle bone for birds plain no additives and put in the back of the tank for them to nibble if wanted, otherwise it dissolves naturally in the water current. You can cut the long big ones long wise with a good chopping knife, and use half at a time for smaller tanks (or in 4 squares for smaller tanks). I have very low kH and not very high mineral content, so a little extra is good.

Also using powder too now Borneowild White Ebi Mineraru 2, and plan to get some biofilm food after reviewing more types.
Wow. You definitely feed very good stuff and taking good care of these cute little things. I started feeding mine a German company Sera Shrimp food. This company is very popular here in UAE. I feed there shrimp food "Sera Shrimp Natural" Also I ordered "Hikari Shrimp Cuisine" inspite of hearing the controversial copper debate. I trust Hikari that they can't go wrong. According to them the little copper included is good for shrimps good blood circulation.

One more thing please that how often you feed them? Once daily or every other day or after like three days?

looks like a grass shrimp IMO
grass-shrimp-palaemonetes-

Initially I was thinking the same but the size of the eyes look more like neocaridina shrimp.
I feed every 2-3 days. Variety of algae wafers plus a sample pack I’m trying out. There are dozens of shrimp brands out there. IMG_4452.jpg
There is a product called Bacter AE that is supposed to promote biofilm development. I may be ordering that soon.

Thanks a lot. Sadly here no samples and very few shops. I need to import everything from Dubai city which is like 1 and half hour drive. So I order online from Dubai. Here in AL Ain City where I live even Hikari brand is not available. I always wanted to have the luxury to buy species what I want. I am having a hard time finding shrimps I like. I only see red and yellow in market. Crystal shrimps I ordered online and hence always costly.

Back
Top Bottom