Ramshorn Color Morphs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Faded Glory

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I bought a plant from my lfs and soon discovered that I had a new buddy. Since that day, I've seen a lot of variety in the colors of my ramshorn that have been appearing. After doing a bit of research, it appears that there are even more colors possible than what I have in my tank (brown, leopard, golden, nearly-black, and an almost silver). I see blues and pink/reds for sale all over the place, but generally nothing more exotic.

I'm interested in finding out what colors you have. I've heard of yellows, whites, greens, and true blacks but can't find anyone that has them, much less that wants to sell me some. I'd like to get some of these more exotic colors to help me with my color morph project.

Any thoughts, suggestions, or donations of new genetic material (I'm willing to pay of course) would be greatly appreciated.

I seen golden shells with red bodies, but if it's body is yellow, it means it's dying.

I seen blue ramshorn but they never really looked like what is show on google images or other sites. From what I can tell, it depends on the age and the way the light shines on the shell for it to really look blue.

Leopard snails will eventually turn all brown as it ages.

I'm not sure if you're mixing up white with pink ramhorn snails. Depending on their diet and health, their shells can look more solid white or a little more transparent which makes it look pink with from their red bodies.

I had never seen or heard of silver though, that's a new to me.

I have red ramshorn and blues. I've also seen silver with pink bodies really pretty but the price people are asking is ridiculous!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'll have to see if I can get a picture of my best looking 'silver'. He is often quite shy.

I've heard that there are true whites and true blacks native to locations in the UK. They may be a closely related branch of ramshorn, if not the exact same species.

Thanks for your replies. I'm still hoping to hear from more members about their snails. Also, please keep the suggestions and personal experience coming.

Hello Faded...

I have multiple tanks and have kept this species of snails for quite a while. I have red shells with red snails, standard dark brown, white, brown with white stripes, and some have grown larger than the size of a dime.

B

Hi BBradbury,

Do you have any photos of your various ramshorns? Also, do you know if your white is a color morph off of the common browns or a similar-but-different species?

FG

The whitest snail I had seen looks something like this top one here.

DSCN0982.jpg

I tried to find my handsome silver guy but only managed to find a stand-in. I apologize for the picture quality.

Attachments

• 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 91
I've had really dark ones with red bodies

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom