RCS inbreeding?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Psylk87

Aquarium Advice Activist
How worried do I need to be about inbreeding. Does it cause deffects like with guppies? I bought 8 RCS to start a 5.5 gallon colony (They were all juveniles and mostly clear when I got them).
3 are def females (one is even berried now and another saddled) and 4 are for sure males (they are mostly clear). The last one could go either way there is a bit of red and a lot of clear. I am guessing prolly male because its pretty big already but it may turn more red.

So anyway the realization that I only have 3 females got me thinking. How worried do you need to be about them inbreeding I mean thats whats going to happen in a colony right? Do I need to add more genetic diversity or will it be okay? And how long will it be okay for before it becomes an issue?

Inbreeding can become an issue, the shrimp will become weaker. However, you don't really have to worry about it too much until you're like at the 3rd generation. I try to get more RCS whenever my current colony hits generation #3.

Sorry for jacking the thread, I just saw it was on the first page and it's practically the same question I was about to ask...

Anyways, how fast do shrimp become sexually mature?

Just wondering to see how fast f3 comes up.

I've got about 25 RCS (and about 100 babies it seems) from 3 different sources right now, so I'm not too worried yet, but I would like to be prepared for the future so I know when to introduce new genes.

Back
Top Bottom