Red boxer crab freshwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Javedmr

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Does anyone know anything about these. These are freshwater but I can't find anything about them. Are these Red clawed crab. Thank you

Attachments

• image-149568611.jpg
    image-149568611.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 122
I have no experience whatsoever with crabs, but from running a quick search, red clawed sounds like it's the most likely, based on similarity in name, red claws in the pictures and "one of the most popular crustaceans". Fiddler crabs are what seem to be the most popular but the picture you've posted doesn't seem to look like anything that came from a search.

My concern is that nothing came up with that genus-species name. Not sure if you found it too, but a couple of PDF documents come up in a google search and I quickly skimmed through one that said Parathelphusidae is a family that is very little known about, however it is from Sri Lanka which runs true to the info given. But I checked the wikipedia page and there was no Enthropus identified

Red boxer crab definitely doesn't sound right either. Red box"ing" crab shows results for a saltwater crab - more commonly known as strawberry crab - and looks nothing like your picture. Is the store this photo was taken in usually reputable? I'd probably ask for more information from them about it.

Also from searching it appears that there are very few fully aquatic crabs, and they're a rarity. Seeing as these guys look really cheap from the photo it makes me think they're not rare. You'd be needing some dry land for them. Giving them some "shoreline" is obviously the best way, but I did find this which looks like it could work? I'm unsure about oxygen needs though.

http://m.instructables.com/id/Under-water-Dry-zone-for-fiddler-crabs

Again I have no experience other than my past 20 mins of reading, if someone comes along who knows what they're talking about has advice by all means take theirs. But good luck with it all, I found crabs to be some pretty interesting reading.

Edit: if they're your LFS/LPS could you get a picture of them in the tank to help? Also, more research shows the Perisesarma genus is a possibility, possibly P. samawati or P. guttatum

Here is my problem. I bought 4 of these crabs for my fluval edge 23 litre. Of course my lfs confirmed that 4 should be okay for this size and that these are completely aquatic and donot need land. Two employees confirmed this for me on separate occasions.

The issue now is that these guys on occasions go to the surface to breathe. The fluval edge if you have seen doesnot allow for a vivaquarium type set up so that I can drop the water level. I have had the same issues looking for data online, red boxer crabs are marine and red clawed crab seems the closet but these are from different part of Asia , need land and have a different scientific name. I am just not sure what to do. Listen to lfs or assume these are red claws. The lfs is quite reputed and seems to be one of the main speciality shops for unique fish.

Without pictures we cant guess at what they are so cant give much advice. Are they not big enough to identify yet or something? Have you researched the crabs you talk about but cant find anything on them?

Ive had a look around and the picture actually to me that looks like a red claw and could need land. Dont quote me on this though.

Here is my problem. I bought 4 of these crabs for my fluval edge 23 litre. Of course my lfs confirmed that 4 should be okay for this size and that these are completely aquatic and donot need land. Two employees confirmed this for me on separate occasions. The issue now is that these guys on occasions go to the surface to breathe. The fluval edge if you have seen doesnot allow for a vivaquarium type set up so that I can drop the water level. I have had the same issues looking for data online, red boxer crabs are marine and red clawed crab seems the closet but these are from different part of Asia , need land and have a different scientific name. I am just not sure what to do. Listen to lfs or assume these are red claws. The lfs is quite reputed and seems to be one of the main speciality shops for unique fish.

Ah ok. I'm unsure about the Edge, but does it allow for maybe 2-3cm drop in water level or not? I just bought an AquaOne 15 litre cube and I feel like it's a similar set up, so I understand what you mean about not being able to drop the water level.

Even trustworthy LFS's can make mistakes, although it seems odd to get that information repeatedly.. Maybe ask if there are different names for it, otherwise they might just have stock of a crab that is indeed rare. It's just baffling that they have it advertised as a "popular freshwater crustacean" and yet they're nonexistent online.

Are there any other animals (fish, shrimp etc) in with them? And could you post a picture of the crabs and your set up? I'm really interested in this haha

Hi here are some pics. The crabs are about an inch to inch half across.

Attachments

• image-2628519057.jpg
    image-2628519057.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 103
  • image-1636735814.jpg
    image-1636735814.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 76
Still looking like a red clawed crab, which would need land. How much could you lower the water? Is it possible to bring it down an inch or 2?

I am afraid it just might be a red claw. The problem is that I read up on red claw everything changes. Red claws have high bio load and these ones I have my LFs claims are low.

Secondly, Lfs said absolutely no salt and red claws need some. I am not really sure with Lfs so confident about everything including scientific names.

The upside is that theyre not too expensive I guess. You could try them following the LFS' advice, if they start to die off then maybe switch care for that of red claw.

That being said I know people have kept semi aquatic crabs in a fully aquatic set up and the crabs have survived for years.

If they die. Boil them, only mouth size bites i know but youll have 4.. you could make a crab sandwich.

The first one. Sorry

Of course it was a joke. Here is another picture if anyone can help identify these guys. Anyways I will do a nitrate test today to check if these guys are overloaded or just right for my tank.

Attachments

• image-1832032649.jpg
    image-1832032649.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 66
Back
Top Bottom