Seed Shrimp or Freshwater Limpet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nic0

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all, I have been noticing little white creatures on the bottom of my 20 gallon aquarium. I have done some research and have narrowed it down to either seed shrimp or freshwater limpets, but I think they are probably seed shrimp. I know they are not bad for the tank, and may even be beneficial, but I am confused in how they got there. I have had the tank running since Christmas time and only have 8 fish in it, 7 serpea tetras and one bristlenose pleco. I do not have any live plants yet, so they could not have hitchhiked on those. I have some wood, but it was very dry when I bought it and I soaked it in water for a day. Could the seed shrimp or limpets have burrowed into the wood and just have come out now. As I said before, I know they are beneficial but they are kind of an eye sore, so is there any way to get rid of them besides sucking them out with a siphon? Is there any type of snail or fish that may eat them? Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom