Should i be worried??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hermieguy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok. Ive had hermit crabs for a while now, and one has disappeared. I think he might be molting but idk... But, i know they are supposed to have saltwater,especially before they molt, but i just now got aquarium salt... Should i be worried??

Are we talking the sand and beach kind?

They will look for an empty shell, if they don't like it they will look for another. You should have more shells for them to try. Always have several shells which would be larger than the ones they already have.

When selecting them look inside at the size of the space they would be filling, some shells seem larger but are thicker so they really aren't much bigger INSIDE. They like choices, it isn't uncommon for then to try several. So get them some more shells to try on.

Make sure you have the tank with good humidity, treated water, and clean.

My crabs bury when the molt. I have 2 that spend most of their time buried. Have you peeked on them at night? Sometimes I catch them racing the tank at night. If its been a few weeks or even a month, lightly check the substrate. You don't want to bother it if its molting, but check to see his shell is at least buried.

Back
Top Bottom