Shrimp and Snail Stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Floop123

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 1.5 gallon tank, and would like some shrimp and snails. I do NOT want pond snails. It's a glofish themed tank, so I want stuff that would blend in there
Please list how many I could put in there. I would like to breed, so maybe something that I could trade with pet stores.

If you want colorful snails that will breed, I'd suggest blue, pink, or red ramshorns. Just be aware that if you feed heavily, they will reproduce quickly, so you'll have to remove some every once in a while if that's the case.
For shrimp, you could probably have some red cherry shrimp, but I wouldn't put too many in that sized tank. Perhaps start with 3 to 5, as they will breed.
Hope his helps :)

When you say GloFish themed, does that mean neon colored gravel and plants? Or just the tank with the substrate of your choice. Knowing that will be helpful in terms of "blending in". Personally, I would do black sand or possibly a dark play sand. White/tank colored sand would wash out the appearance of the shrimp.
I had to google this setup (1.5g). Does it look like this? IMG_3457.JPG As for how many shrimp, I would start with half a dozen and see how they do. Water quality is of utmost importance in such a small volume. I once changed things up (new substrate) in my 20g shrimp tank and the RCS stopped breeding for 4-6 months. I started with a dozen yellow shrimp (several berries females in the group) in my 6.6g tank and within a month I was seeing babies. It may take several months to get this going. Just not sure if you would get the results you are hoping for in this size of a tank.

That's it! I am thinking of changing by gravel to black sand that will look awesome! Are ramshorns and red cherries active? I've got one ghost shrimp. Can he fit with them?

If water quality is good and they're healthy, I've known red cherries to be very active and intriguing to watch. Ramshorns tend to be rather active as well; they cruise around the tank exploring or looking for food. As for the ghost shrimp, usually they can be housed with other shrimp, but since there's variation in which species are sold as "ghost shrimp", you'd have to monitor him for aggression.

I would be concerned with having any variation of ghost shrimp in that tank if you wanted to breed and raise the RCS. Predation.

Back
Top Bottom