Shrimp Color

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NickGuy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey sorry another dumb question :)
So... I have a young Cherry shrimp swimming around my tank and it appers to have a brown color will it get it's "adult colors" and turn red or am I going to randomly have a brown shrimp in my colony of reds?

Here are some pictures

Attachments

• IMG_20190115_181714.jpg
    IMG_20190115_181714.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_20190115_181711.jpg
    IMG_20190115_181711.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 161
Also if they do need to be older to get adult colors how come I have 2 other very small babies with a bright red? Did I so enjoyed how end up with a blob of mixed genes in the brownish gold one?

Sometimes shrimp can produce “wild type” babies, which are brown or clear usually. This is how wild neocaridina shrimp looked before they were selectively bred for their coloration.
Though babies do tend to color up a little as they grow, it looks to me like that shrimp will stay clearish/brownish. He may develop a little more red, but I don’t anticipate that he’ll become the bright red you’re hoping for. It’s a little hard for me to see in the photo or tell how big he is, but to me it appears you have a more wild type looking shrimp. I call him a he because male cherry shrimp tend to have less vibrant coloration than females, especially in lower grades.
What colors are the shrimp in your tank? Are they all cherries, or do you have other colors of neocaridina in the tank? Sometimes when different color strains cross, they are more likely to have wild type offspring. However, sometimes just cherries themselves will have wild type offspring. Usually these are removed from the tank, or “culled”, so that only the red cherry color is passed on.
Hope this helped! :)

Great advice and info there.

If the Xherry shrimp were from a store in a mixed tank and just had babies it could be from the mixed group they came from.

Culling. You just end up with a nice group of cleaner shrimp. Good for a first time shrimp keeper. Or someone who wants them for a nano tank to clean. They are fun to watch whatever color. You can keep them or sell them. Just do not advise keeping together with the colorful reds you want to get nice red babies from. They will damage the color strain work which was already done. And yes the males might not be as bright, don't get rid of all the males, lol.

Alright! Thanks for the info I thought it was kind of weird that it was randomly brown
Also the baby is still very tiny (as small as a piece of gravel)
So I will probably need to wait for it to get larger to remove cause my tank is decently planted so it's super hard to find the little bugger lol and also yes they are all Red Cherries

Culling ahh never needed to cull my animal before hahah. I have a large community tank so anything that comes brown I guess I can just plop in there..
I had got my shrimp from a hobbyist near me, he had sent a bunch of pictures from the tank and I didn't see any other colored ones when I went to grab them so I highly doubt there was any interbreeding between 2 different color varients

You can also sell or give away any undesirably colored shrimp, if you don’t want to keep them. They’re good cleaners and fascinating to watch, so if you know of anyone who might want some, that’s another option.

Ah alright well I may have been wrong... Managed to catch a young shrimp (alot larger than the baby) with the some color variants he is more transparent with a. Bit of brownish red too him
Also i don't know anyone who even has any aquariums! Which sucks because I do love the shrimp and my community tank they will probably be eaten but I also want to have red shrimp not there weird brown ones

You can even put them into a really large container, make a nano bowl with some spare plants stone, dw, what have you. This at my local store was about $13, cheaper than they list online.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Anchor-H...lvpMcUQ0Lg7uju1s52Bpvmlr9XaEkgowaAsrKEALw_wcB

60074-albums12102-picture54575.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry to respond so late but this can't be a cherry shrimp and I seem to have two in my tank right now they are about the size of a adult cherry now

P.S. I know about the dead shrimp in the first pic something's been going on and they seem to be dying :(

Attachments

• 1548968401668250014073602948675.jpg
    1548968401668250014073602948675.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 157
  • 15489684348207956336452581678235.jpg
    15489684348207956336452581678235.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 138
Wild colour(red/brown/clear) shrimp CAN show up in a strictly red tank due to in breeding "I have been told", they can also show up in bag shrimp you buy unless you are picking them singly and inspect the bag before you bring it home - I've had this happen a few times when I bought 10+ shrimp

Alright I was starting I think they might of been amano shrimp and they somehow got into my tank lol

So you don't think they are amanos and instead a "wild type" of cherry?

Yes, by the pattern of the markings on the sides. Amanos able to be identified as male or female with their pattern of dots or dot/dash on their sides. Males have some dashes on their shell but along their tail are dots where the female has dashes. Center row.

Check this pic - link below...there are a pair of Amanos together in one pic.

Scroll down in the link just a little way. The group of five pics, one you can see the 2 together as well as the difference and compare -AND see the markings are not really the same as the shrimp you posted the pic of. As they say a picture is worth a thousand words... ;)

https://aquaticmag.com/freshwater/amano-shrimp-information/

And as a second thought:
But do the front pincers have fans on them instead of claws? It faintly looks like it from a whitish shadow in the pic with the dead cherry.

Last edited:
Ohh I see it now lol yeah it totally is just a wild neo ? thank you btw for all your help :)

Back
Top Bottom