Snail people, i have a question. =P

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tormented

Aquarium Advice Regular
I bought 2 Black Mystery Snails and Two Gold Inca Snails.
i was wondering if the Inca snail is just another name for an apple snail, or if its different.
I would also like to know how big they get and if they will eat live plants.

It's just another name for gold apple snail and I'm 99% sure your plants will be fine. Just be prepared if they lay egg sacs

Chronos is right: The snails sold as gold Inca snails and mystery snails are almost always Pomacea diffusa (formerly known as Pomacea bridgesii) which is a type of apple snail that does not eat plants unless they are dead/decaying. If you post photos I can let you know for sure. They lay eggs above the water line which can easily be removed to prevent unwanted baby snails.

@ Chronos, i thought so because i saw one in the fish store tank that was huge, but it was bigger than mystery snails get.

@docbree what kind of picture do you want from the side top or what angle would be a better question. But anyway i want babies, snails are fun.

Mystery snails lay pink egg clusters and apple snails lay white, right?

Tormented said:
@ Chronos, i thought so because i saw one in the fish store tank that was huge, but it was bigger than mystery snails get.

@docbree what kind of picture do you want from the side top or what angle would be a better question. But anyway i want babies, snails are fun.

Mystery snails lay pink egg clusters and apple snails lay white, right?

Just to warn you , when they lay eggs the egg clutches can hold up to 100 eggs, and when they lay the first clutch a whole bunch of clutches come after, so thats up to a thousand or so baby snails!

I have kuhlis, guppies (that think they are starved), and a betta to eat most of them. My mom had mystery snails so i know how many babies they have XP I am not sure alot of them will make it to adulthood.

The best view is from the side, showing the spires - like the photo I attached. The snail eggs can vary in color. My mystery snail eggs start out white and then turn tan - but may be salmon or pink after a couple of days.

Attachments

• side_view_1.jpg
    side_view_1.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 69
Yeah believe them when they say they will lay a bunch of eggs!! I am overwhelmed with snails right now and they keep laying more so I have to dispose of the eggs sadly :( And not a single one of my fish will touch the baby snails!! My goldfish will only eat them when they are first born and thats only if he feels in the snaily mood! haha

315437_3081890741296_1015383062_n.jpg

409722_3081891661319_1715674427_n.jpg

487936_3081890381287_1004613086_n.jpg

Beautiful snails! They both look like mystery snails - your plants should be safe.

Back
Top Bottom