Snail Traps that Work

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kribensis_2004

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey every one i am now having a problem with snails in my ten gallon shrimp vivarium, the problem isn't catching them but the trap. I guess the question is how do you keep your small little micro fish out of the trap so that they don't die in the trap.

You'll laugh when I tell you what I use for a snail trap. It's a pint bottle with flip top. I drilled 1/2" holes in it and use algae wafers as bait. Snails crawl in and my endlers swim right through.

I also had this concern when I created my snail trap as I have some small fish in my tank (harlequin rasboras, white cloud minnows, danios, not to mention assassin snails and my favourite nerite snail). After looking online, I came across this solution, and I didn't get any of my fish in there.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413048419.557005.jpg

It is a cheap ziplock plastic container...I had to trim the top edges so I could fit the hole punch over the rim, then I hole punched it.

I then placed some gravel ( big mistake btw, better to use 1 large pebble unless you want to be picking through the stuff to find the snails - yuck!) and a piece of cucumber and a algae wafer into the container and placed it into the tank over night ( I even placed a towel over the tank to make it super dark longer). This is what I woke up to this morning!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413048553.664876.jpg

After picking throw the gravel ( again, yuck) I found these snails which I crushed and froze for a special treat for my fish at a later date ( to crush them, fold a paper towel over the bag, place it on a hard surface and use something else hard to crush them, don't use your fingers unless you want a chunk of snail shell cutting through your finger ( really!).

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413048750.750102.jpg

I find my fish ( all of them) go wild for these one a week.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom