Where did my ghost shrimp go?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shay1012

Aquarium Advice Regular
So a few days ago we noticed that our ghost shrimp Jacques has disappeared. Usually he can be seen swimming along the front wall from one side of the tank to the other but he also likes to hide out in this ceramic log that's in the tank. There's no dead body and it's a covered tank so he couldn't have jumped out. Would the other fish with him have ate him? He's in with 4 guppies, 2 mollies, and 2 plates.
I'm worried that if he is dead and I don't get the body out it can poison the tank and make the other fish sick. :(

Ghost shrimp don't seem to live very long. I think it's because most lfs don't treat them the best because they are usually feeders. I had some that survived awhile and others that perished rather quickly. A shrimp will not likely poison the tank if it is deceased.

Well, he is hiding or dead. Shrimp only live so long, and you have no way of knowing how old the shrimp was when you got it. None of your fish are too likely to have eaten him (though, you never can say for sure)
I have rarely ever found a shrimp body. They seem to decompose crazy fast.
Hopefully he comes out again, they do hide well. If he is dead, it will not be enough to really destroy your parameters.
Good luck!

Thanks guys. We are doing a water change tomorrow and if he doesn't resurface (hehe ) then I will just assume he's dead.

Well we found him. He is still being a little lethargic and hanging out at the back of the tank. Thank you guys for helping to put a worried tank mom at ease.

Back
Top Bottom