fertilizer for lilies ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dianeww

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Is it OK to use those little Jobe's fertilizer sticks (the ones for houseplants) for potted lilies in a pond? Or is there anything in them that would harm the fish?

I am going to go the cheap way out and say I am not quite sure how safe it would be without seeing the ingredient list. I do know that I have always used these with great results. If you are into lillies, I would also suggest taking a look around the site.

Thanks, Roger,

The ingredients:
Total nitrogen (N)..............13 %
2 % nitrate nitrogen
2 % urea nitrogen
2 % other water soluble nitrogen
7 % water insoluble nitrogen
Available phosphate (P2 O5)....4 %
Soluble potash (K2O)..............5 %

Derived from:
Ureaform, triple superphosphate, potassium nitrate, Chlorine not more than 0.2%
Nitrogen, Phosphate, and potash are slow-release. Sounds like basic fertilizer to me.

By the way, I'm not really a lily fanatic, but that's a great site! Lots of beautiful things there, may indulge in a couple....That blue tropical lily that's half price now looks gorgeous.

I am not entirely sure, but it seems like urea might be a bad deal. Then again, urea is in animal waste so there has to be a good natural way of turning it into something else. Chlorine is also not good, but an outdoor pond shouldn't really have any issues getting rid of that in a hurry.

How big is your pond? In general dilution is the pollution solution, so in a pond water impurities arn't such a big deal, so I clearly can't tell you not to. But over time impurities can build up a problem in any system, so I clearly can't tell you that it will be safe.

As close as I can figure, it's about 1800 gallons. I think the waterfall would help dissipate any chlorine in a hurry. I'll bet the biological filtration system being healthyand functioning will keep all in check. :) No?

After doing a google search, I came across an aquatic forum that mentions a guy using them to good effect. Should be ok, let us know how it turns out.

Back
Top Bottom