Goldfish buddies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jmifflin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, a little backstory of my progression. My daughter who is 3 wanted a goldfish. Me being someone who never kept fish bought a goldfish with a bowl and thought that was ok. He only lasted two weeks. The second goldfish ( fantail) was purchased with a 3 gallon half moon tank a few months ago. I still knew nothing about size requirements or cycling the tank. He has been doing fine on 75% water changes once a week and the tests read amm: 0 nitrite 0 and nitrates 20. I recently purchased a 46 gallon bow front and it is currently cycling. It has filtration on it for 100 gallons and I will continue to monitor the water quality. I am planning to add two dojo loaches with Fishy and I was hoping to maybe get another kind of fish in the tank. This forum has been very helpful and I just want everyone's opinions on what other type of fish would go well in the tank.

Thanks!
Jonathan.

Make sure if you put another fish in with the goldfish make sure it's cold water and that they will do good toghether , and if you move it into the 46 gallon you can get another fantail gold fish

Dojo loaches are tropical if I am right? And are you using the API kit or strips buy the API much more accurate and only 30 bucks

I have the freshwater master test kit. The liquid kind. Dojo loaches are actually cold water according to my local Lfs and liveaquaria.com how about blood fin tetras?

I have the freshwater master test kit. The liquid kind. Dojo loaches are actually cold water according to my local Lfs and liveaquaria.com how about blood fin tetras?

Those are tropical, Iwould suggest looking at golden white clouds, there cold water schooling fish

Ok. I didn't know since I've been told they prefer the low end of the tropical scale. I'm thinking of adding a heater set at 72.

Ok. I didn't know since I've been told they prefer the low end of the tropical scale. I'm thinking of adding a heater set at 72.

Well since you have the goldfish already, they like lower temps under 70 and tetras prefer 75 and up

Thank you for your advice. Anyone else have any suggestions for a fish that would be good with a fantail?

In my pond out in the garden we have some pretty large goldfish and when we had nowhere to put our rosy barbs after we took down a cold water tank we just put them in the pond, 5 months later no ones nipped, or dead and there all thriving and happy!

I can say that I've never seen such big barbs until now haha!

Just a thought since barbs don't really get too big and there quite pretty fish :)

Thank you Ezzie!! Anyone know about platys? How would they do since they are ok with temps as low as 65?

Your filtration should really be on the side of 10 times the tank capacity for a goldfish tank. You may want to add another filter.

The general rule for fancies (although you didn't say what kind of goldfish you have) is 20 gallons for the first one, and 10 for additional goldfish. If you are going to combine tropicals with the goldfish (which IMO is a bad idea - different foods/feeding needs, different habitat needs, etc.,) then you would need to allow more than that for tank size.

If your goldfish is a comet (often called feeder fish), common or shubunkin, then it needs to be alone in the 46 gallon tank. Those goldfish are typically placed in ponds and have much greater tank and water volume requirements than fancy goldfish.

Thank you for your comment. So I'm thinking that I will do the one fantail goldfish with two dojo loaches and a school of rosy barbs. Anyone have anything against this paring?

Back
Top Bottom