Goldfish in outdoor wine-barrel water garden

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thilligoss73

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I've taken the advice of a neighbor, and created a watergarden on my front entry porch. Because I live in an area where mosquitoes are a problem....and also because I just enjoy the look of fish in a pond-like setting, I want to add some goldfish to the watergarden. I live in Maryland, and the winter temperatures here drop to the 30's, sometimes (mostly overnight) dipping into the 20's. For the most part, the coldest winter temps are are around 30 degrees, give or take 5 degrees. My question is this....are my goldfish going to be OK in the wine-barrel through the winter, or will they get too cold? I know that they hibernate and can survive in in-ground ponds, but my water garden is above ground. That being said, it is on the front porch right next to the house, so it's unlike to actually freeze. If the water will get too cold for the fish, is it possible to run some sort of an aquarium heater to keep the water at a "liveable" temp? I know that normal 60 or 70 degree water is not realistic, but would a large aquarium heater keep the water warm enough that the fish wouldn't die? Also, do heaters draw a lot of electricity if they run continuously, as this one would? I'd really like to put some fish out there, but I just don't have the room for another tank inside the house for wintering.

I'm pretty sure they make outdoor pond heaters, maybe you could find a small one of those to use in the barrel? I really do like your idea, and think that it'd be pretty awesome to do so hopefully someone can help you figure it out

I know we have global warming but when I lived in Annapolis we had 10 degree nights about every 5 years.
And we had 20 degree highs for several days.
The bay froze solid 2 years in the 70s they were airlifting food to the bay islanders.
Look into a heater...

Yikes! Sounds more like Minnesota! I've been here for about 8 years, and so far the coldest winter was a couple years ago. The temps were down in the low teens. We havent had one like that in a while. I'm really looking into a heater for them....I just don't want to run the electric bill up through the roof! Is the wattage on an aquarium heater that high that I'd really see it in my bill?

If your barrel is 30 gallons or so, I'd only add one fancy goldfish or fantail. Comets get too large to be able to turn around in that size and shaped space.

As long as the water doesn't freeze solid to the bottom , it is OK. You also have to make sure you have a hole through the top of the ice for gas escape.

Put a pump in for the summer and floating plants that will filter nutrients.

Back
Top Bottom